I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is it possible to ream out hypalon grips?
Posted by: Al Sanders (---.mpihq.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 04:28PM

I have a 1/2" hypalon grip that I want to ream out to fit a 1" diameter blank. How hard is it to do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible to ream out hypalong grips?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 04:30PM

About like reaming a tire. Not fun.

Unless you have a 1" reamer and a bunch of time on your hands, you'd probably be better off just spending the $5 for a piece of 7/8" or 1" I.D. Hypalon

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Re: Is it possible to ream out hypalon grips?
Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 05:02PM

dont mean to hijack but whats the difference between hypalon and eva?

Date: April 02, 2009 05:11PM

Hypalon is a DuPont rubber product an EVA is foam.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 05:27PM

I have used 1/2" ID hyp over butts that large. It will shrink the length enough to make it worthwhile to follow Mark's suggestion and spring for another piece of larger ID stuff. The money alone is worth not having to boil or nuke and stretch it. It will be a BIG hassle to slide it the last 6 or so inches!
Chuck

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 08:55PM

I just pulled a !/2 on to a Seeker XXXH - hot water soak - Rod Bond and Lance's help and we slammed it home. It went on surprisingly easy. We never stopped

Date: April 02, 2009 09:35PM

Oh, it'll stretch. Plenty of epoxy for lube and it will stretch right over a 1" butt. Staybon/Acetone work too, however I find the finished diameter too large after doing it. The wall thickness on 1/2" I.D. extrusions is 3/8", VS a wall thickness of 3/16" on 1" I.D., and since it doesn't stretch to within it's original outside diameter, it gets FAT. In fact, it can get large enough that you can't put it in some gunwale rod holders.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: April 03, 2009 08:48AM

Get the 11/16 ID, it will make your life much easier.......

If someone knows where a person can get a larger ID Hypalon than that, I'd appreciate knowing where

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 08:51AM

My use was foregrip - for non slip hand grip purpose - OD size just right when in place on that beast of a blank.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 09:09AM

Yes you can ream it. I use the flex coat style bits with the tendon and ream away. Very easily done, you can start and finish clean as can be.

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 10:40AM

Al,
Do some internet searches and pick up a 7/8" machinest reamer.
You will be able to ream out that grip in a minute or son.
If you plan to do a lot of different handles, picking up a good set of machinest reamers of the appropriate sizes are a good long term investment.

If you do some careful searches, of surplus sources, you can often find used machinest tools for very inexpensive prices. If you have to pay full retail for a good machinest reamer, you are talking $$$$$$$$$.

---
If you ever stop over to the St. Croix rod factory, you will find that the factory has either made or have had made, long steel reamers for their various blanks. Then, when fitting grips to their blanks, they simply use the appropriate reamer for the blank under assembly, a 10 second ream of the grip, and the factory has a perfectly fitted handle for the blank under assembly. These are nicely tapered steel reamers of a length such that the entire handle can be nicely tapered to match the blank. For a large production house, like St. Croix; having a custom made reamer makes sense, since it is such a time saver during production.

Take care
Roger

Date: April 03, 2009 10:50AM

Al,
Check out suppliers like:

[www1.mscdirect.com]

These, as well as other suppliers carry a wide range of reamers that may be useful for your purpose. If you give them a call, they can supply special requests.

Take care
Roger

Date: April 03, 2009 11:35AM

Whit,

A 7/8" or 1" Hypalon grip is $4.39 - $4.99 here --> []

Not exactly sure why we're talking about $40 machinist's reamers, the machinery to spin them or the fixture to hold the grip to avoid spending $4.39, unless it's just for the sake of argument? That's not the kind of tooling that you simply grasp and ream out a rubber grip "in a minute or so..."

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: April 03, 2009 11:43AM

Mark,
Just to let folks know their options.
Roger

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 03, 2009 05:57PM

BTW..................just to clarify the difference between Hypalon & EVA

Hypalon = expanded special perish resistant Rubber compound.
EVA = Expanded Vinyl Acetate compound.

very different compounds, with Hypalon having many times more stretch capability than EVA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster