I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polyurethane foam suppliers
Posted by: Justin Poe (---.klf.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 01:33PM

I left my issue of Rodmaker with the info on suppliers at work. Can some one please give me the info on the foam and grip cover suppliers.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polyurethane foam suppliers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2009 01:37PM

You can now get all that stuff from Riley Rods, link is to the left.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 04:18PM

If you don't see what you are looking for please contact us. We probably have it.

Thanks,
Mike

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 07:28PM

Thank you for bringing my attention to Riley Rods and the fact they have foam and c/f sleaves.

To answer Justin's question Google sollar composites for sleaves and US composites. Neither of these companies are board sponsors which why I'm happy to see Riley Rods carry these type of products. However I do have a couple of questions for Mike Pedersen.

First question is about the foam and what you call RR-5.5 FOAM, I'm guessing that 5.5lb and then the description goes on to say "Maintains its lightness over cork with better structural integrity than standard 4# foam." I was under the impression that the standard was 8lb foam, would this foam withstand a rod holder? Looks like you're fishing big water/big fish so whatever you're using would work in Oregon for salmon/steelhead.

How are the straight fiberglass sleaves to work with? I like the colors without the black carbon strands.

I don't build a lot of rods so your Baker's Dozen cores look like a great deal.

Thanks

Mike

Date: April 03, 2009 12:42PM

Thank you for the help

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2009 02:20PM

Mike - yes it is 5.5# density. I have all densities from 2# to 16# on hand. To get different densities it is just straight ratios. 50% 8# and 50% 4# = 6#. I've made a couple thousand cores over the last year and found the 5.5# density to suit me best personally and I build light inshore to heavy offshore and have not had any issues (I am on the water a lot). As far as standards go, I'm not sure there is one yet but 4# is plenty for light stuff and 8# is more than needed for heavier stuff.

The colored glass is a little more stiff than the naturals. Just takes a little practice. We also offer excellent color matching from 2" x 2" swatches. There is a $25 start up cost per color that Riley Rods will split with you and the color is on file for 1 year.

We are The National Distributor of Soller Composites for the Fishing Industry. Jon knows about the issues with creases and alignment in the past and is very careful to "soft roll' all the sleeving he sends our way. I in turn really open it up to let it 'breath' and stay in the most usable condition. It has made a huge difference in my finished product. Don't even use heat shrink half the time anymore.

Anyone interested in the Extreme Bargain Baker's Dozen, it will only be available until this Sunday the 5th. I need a break. I'm getting a little behind on other things

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Date: April 03, 2009 03:20PM

I spoke with Mr. Pedersen's wife today on the phone as I was inquiring about the fun with foam kit. Mrs. Pedersen was extremely helpful and I would reccomend Riley Rods to anyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster