I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod guides - another question from a newbie
Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 11:10AM

Guys:

What do you look for in selecting rod guides? I mean, what are the advantages that "top of the line" guides give you other than low weight? Are the best guides those that weigh the less? Those that impart the least amount of friction on the line? Those that are the most durable? Or is it some combination of these features?

With that in mind, does anyone have any particular guides they reccommend for freshwater spinning and baitcasting that have the features of premium guides with a lower price? It seems like Fuji is the most popular, but when you buy them you must be paying some sort of premium for marketing and brand recognition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod guides - another question from a newbie
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2009 11:40AM

There is great deal of overkill in guides these days. For most standard applications, you want something as light and as small that will still perform the required job. That's the criteria for size and weight in most instances.

Is an SIC ring better than one made from aluminum oxide? Depends on what you're after. Line friction on the cast isn't really much of a factor. You can cast just as far with a rod carrying AL rings as the same rod carrying SIC rings, even though the SIC rings may have a smoother polish. So in the long run, all you need to do is figure out which rings will withstand the line you're using - which ones won't groove. And the thing is, most any quality ceramic ring these days will stand up to any mono and most braids.

Then you can think about corrosion resistance. Are you fishing in saltwater? If so, maybe a titanium frame guide is the way to go. If not, you could just as easily go with something less expensive and get equal service life from it.

As you get more involved you'll sort of figure out what you need. Until then, I wouldn't worry about buying the most expensive guides. Call your dealer (hopefully one of the sponsors to the left) and tell them what you're doing and what they recommend. They'll get you started at the right place and you can go from there in the future.

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 11:51AM

Man Tom, you beat me to the punch yet again. No wonder I haven't been posting much these days.

Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 01:11PM

Thanks Tom. I should be getting your book in the mail today. I'm excited to start reading.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 10:48PM

Another thing to consider (at least with big fish is heat buildup)

An aluminum oxide ring will absorb and retain heat faster and longer than a SiC ring. That IS something I consider when doing tuna/wahoo rods (or any style of fishing where significant large lightning fast runs occur), and the main reason I recommend SiC or Nanolite. I need to know it those guides at any point will not have the ability to melt any mono it may or may not be in contact with.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 07:45AM

I have had tiptops on some of my older cheaper rods (some really not so cheap!) groove. I've never had a guide groove. Because of this I always use SIC or similar tiptops on my custom rods. I've not had one of those groove. I use both braid and mono lines. Braid "seems" more aggressive than mono base on the sound and feel, but some contend there is little difference since mono picks up junk from the water that can abraid the guides.

I basically agree with Tom, with the above caveat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster