I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

warning on EVA use
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 02, 2009 10:04AM

Hope this helps somebody else avoid what i just went through.
I use a mask when sanding anything but because sanding EVA is not noisy i never used earplugs.
I will now.
I had my ears clogged up with the fine dust from the EVA. I shape at about 1k to 1.2 k rpm and use 80 to 500 grit paper. The dust given off mixed with the regular smegma found in any healthy ear and formed something that murine( gylcerine and 6% peroxide) just does not shift too well.
Weeks of not being able to hear properly was not fun.
Wear earplugs when doing things that create dust, protects you not just from noise but from the dust itself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: warning on EVA use
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 10:29AM

Lou,
In addition, the use of a vacuum system to extract dust from the air to avoid breathing dust and or getting it elsewhere is also a good idea.
Even the use of a big fan blowing across the work space to keep the dust and or fumes from being inhaled or impacted into the body is a good idea.

A very simple dust collection system is simply an inexpensive 20 inch $20 fan with a 20X20 common furnace filter taped to the face of the fan works quite well. Just have the fan arranged and turned in the direction so that any generated dust gets sucked into the furnace filter. Every 5-20 minutes, just take a shop vacuum and after turning off the fan, suck the dust out of the filter. This very simple, inexpensive dust collection system takes care of a lot of the issues.

If doing handle turning work - for EVA, Cork or other material - use a shop vacuum with a collector brush or device behind and below the work to collect dust and other things from the turning process. Although not perfect, the bulk of any free dust will be sucked in, as well as the majority of the sanding particles. Then, just dump the shop vacuum from time to time, and either replace its filter, or use compressed air to blow excess dust from the filter.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 01:03PM

Lou,

You should have looked up the meaning of the word "smegma" . I can assure you that it is not found in any healthy ear!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 02:19PM

Here ya go!! [www.rodbuilding.org] Like Roger said!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 03, 2009 08:13AM

Rena, my bad its been so long i meant Cerumen. Smegma in the ears would be just too weird.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster