I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

suggestions for smallmouth fly rod
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 07:18PM

Hey guys. Getting ready to build a fly rod to catch some smallmouth on this year. I'm thinking a 9'0" 7wt in a fast to extra fast action, preferrably a 4 piece, but I'm open to all ideas. Anyone built a great smallie fly rod lately? Just looking for some good feedback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: suggestions for smallmouth fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 08:22PM

That's a lot of rod - I'd suggest a 5 or 6 weight in an 8'6" model.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: April 01, 2009 08:26PM

Looks like your from Virginia, 7 wt would be fine there as long as the bugs your throwing aren't much bigger than a size 4 on a regular basis. Rod action wouldn't be that important to me, I'd cut the point off my bass bug, take my reel and line I'm going to use and go rod shopping, once I found the setup I liked I'd build on that blank.

Posted by: george wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 09:51PM

I built a 7 wt from a Cabela's SLI, 9 ft. It is a moderate-fast. It casts some pretty good sized flies with ease. If you have a Cabelas near, you could look at a six or eight wt. I don't think they have a premade 7 wt.

Date: April 01, 2009 09:55PM

I fish on the New River which is pretty good sized waters. The fish get up to 5 lbs and the wind can be strong in the spring. A #4 popper would probably be the biggest bug I would throw. Would you still say 6# Tom?

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 10:03PM

Match the rod to the fly. Where I am, I use a 7 wt Winston BIIx on my local river, but the flies are not that big and bushy... a #6 clouser works great on the Raritan. But if it's the Delaware, an 8 wt med. fast ( I used a Batson RX7+ and a Sage RPL) is the ticket, because the flies (and the fish) are going to be bigger, a #2 clouser works great there., along with some pretty bushy deerhair flies.

Dave

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 10:14PM

I took an 8lb, 4 ounce smallmouth on the New River about 3 years ago, on a 5-weight. And most of the fish in VA won't be anywhere near that large. Yes, I'd still recommend a 5 or a 6, at the very most. I can cast huge flies with either one. I think most folks really overgun for these fish, and end up not having much fun with the 10 to 14 inchers, which make up the majority of what any of us are going to catch anywhere.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 11:04PM

i've got a batson rx 7, 7wt 8'6" that I built for smallie fishing. its more of a moderate action though, but I like it as it works for me and the flies that I throw

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 09:44AM

I would suggest a Batson Rainshadow RX8. It is fast action with good backbone and only comes in a 4 piece blank. I have built a 6wt and an 8wt on this blank. I would actually suggest the 6wt rather than the 7wt on this blank. You can easily upline the 6wt with a 7wt line to throw bigger bugs.

Date: April 02, 2009 03:40PM

Thanks so alot for all of the input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster