I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building a custom Gaff - Where to buy parts?
Posted by: Al Sanders (---.mpihq.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 01:37PM

I know mudhole sells some kits, but is there anywhere else I can buy parts or a kit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building a custom Gaff - Where to buy parts?
Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 02:11PM

Hi Al,

Funny thing, the Mudhole gaff kit flyer just arrived via email. I was thinking about an earlier post and updating my gaff hooks to stainless for the coming halibut season when all of a sudden it appeared. I am not sure who else has gaff parts but it appears that MH has quite the extensive array of blanks and hooks, more then I have seen before.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: April 01, 2009 03:25PM

Jann's Netcraft has an entire category on their page just for gaff building and they do carry quite a variety of stuff. Hope you find what you need.
James

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 06:06PM

James - we think you mean Mud Hole, not Jann's, Jann's does not offer gaff building items that we can see in their catalog.

In any case, Mud Hole offers a complete line of purpose built custom gaff building items - blanks, hooks and grips in a wide verity of sizes. Many complete gaff building kits area available as well. We want to emphasize these are purpose built items - just big rod blanks - the gaff blanks all have front ID's matched to the hook OD's, the blank ID's a spiral grooved to help bonding of the epoxy, the SS316 hooks have flat areas on the hook insert to help them bond to the ID of the blank. Mud Hole has put a lot of thought into these gaff kits and we think it shows in the quality of the products.

We often have customers who are building custom rods for a customer who purchase a gaff kit and build the gaff kit to match the rods - this is a very easy way to add sales to your bottom line. Gaff's are very simple to build, inexpensive to purchase and have a high perceived value from the end user - often selling for over $150 for less than $50 in parts.

We also just update our gaff building instructions, visit the link below to see more:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.28.58.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 07:11PM

I've done up several of Mudhole's blanks and love them! Very high quality!

Posted by: Al Sanders (---.mpihq.com)
Date: April 02, 2009 11:26AM

Just purchase one thanks

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 01:24PM

A few months back I spent some time researching parts to build a custom gaff. I found a place that made me the hooks in 3/8" diameter 316 Stainless Steel with a 4" gap and 12" neck. The price was around $10 each shipped. The project stalled when I could not find a decent handle material for the right price. Literally a few days later Mudhole came out with their selections. I need to get one of those handles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster