I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

composite grips
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 31, 2009 02:15PM

Hello, I'm starting to play around with some carbon composite grips. I'll be ordering the back-issue of Rodmaker but in the meantime I had a few questions:

1) If I mold a urethane foam base around the blank will the bond be strong enough or should it be built seperately and epoxied to the blank?

2) How does everyone feel about the gloss finish of the grip? Does it get too slippery from water, fish slime, sweat? Is there a recommended way to produce a matte finish to keep it from getting slippery? I was thinking of wet sanding but not real crazy about it.

3) Is there a weight advantage over cork grips?

Thanks for any insight,

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: composite grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2009 02:27PM

I think you'll prefer making the grips off the rod and installing them. Too much mess and too much room for error trying to make it right on the rod. And the foam is tenacious - get it all over your rod blank and you won't likely get it off without ruining the blank finish.

How hard something is to hold onto has little to do with a gloss finish and everything to do with how its shaped. Check the RodMaker article on bio-mechanics and grip/handle ergonomics.

Well made foam core grips in either 4lb or 8lb (I prefer the 8lb) fitted with a single layer of the lightweight carbon skin, will weigh just a tad less than the same size and shape grip in cork.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 05:18PM

" Check the RodMaker article on bio-mechanics and grip/handle ergonomics. "

Just checking - is that RodMaker volume 10, #3?

Thanks,
Rick

Date: March 31, 2009 06:13PM

Yes.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:41PM

Thanks Tom, You confirmed some of what I had been thinking. I'm still curious about a matte finish though, not just for feel but for looks. Maybe the epoxy resin manufacturer has a way? I'm finishing up the molds tonight :) Thanks again,

Steve

Date: March 31, 2009 09:51PM

You may want to read the article first. Not sure what type of molds you're making, but this stuff has to be able to expand.

Date: March 31, 2009 11:39PM

I understand how the foam works from boat repairs and other projects, wasn't sure about the bonding strength though. I'm pretty sure my molds are gonna work for now. I'm going to order the back-issure tonight anyway. Thanks

Steve

Date: April 01, 2009 01:21AM

Tom, I ordered 7-3, 10-3 and 10-6 tonight along with a new subscription. Funny... someone could learn a lot just from the covers of the magazines! Can't wait!! Thanks

Steve

Date: April 01, 2009 08:24AM

It bonds with tremendous strength. Try not to get any on you or you'll be wearing it for some time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster