I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread question
Posted by: Jim Lueck (---.89.167.154.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 07:51AM

I've looked online with no results, but I'm looking for a 2 color thread like the classic twist that Gudebrod discontinued. Their Trimar is all metallic and a color. Does anybody offer 2 color twists ? Lt.brown/black or orange/ black in particular. Any ideas? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread question
Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 08:05AM

Angler's Workshop has a Gudebrod Black and Orange classic twist in their catalog. It is not listed online yet. I just ordered some had to send an email to have it added to an online order. 521AT0221 is the #.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 08:09AM

I have several 1oz spools of Black and Orange twist, it is size D. I also have Yellow and Black twist - both are in stock. Here's a link to The NERBs Thread page: [northeastrodbuilders.com] I'm in the process of updating that page to reflect teh colors I actually have in stock, mostly size B in about a dozen colors.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 08:12AM

In addition to that classic twist, I do have some of the new Fishhawk Silk Sparkle thread which was introduced at the ICRBE last month. IT is bar none the most gorgeous twist thread on teh market, and I've seen and used most of them. I have no pics rightnow, but will hopefully get them up in teh next day or 2.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:58AM

Jim,
There is a company called THREAD ART that makes a polyester thread for embroidery work in a fairly large number of two-color classic twists. In my own experience with this product, you need to use CP with this thread. I tried U-40 Color Lock, Flec Coat, Gudebrod 811 (now discontinued), and Chroma Seal. Only Gudebrod 811 and Chroma Seal retained the original color.

I still prefer the classic twist from Gudebrod and am glad that they decided to continue making their nylon classic twist thread. Check with Dave Lyons at Angler's Workshop for its availability.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: James Willard (---.ellicottschools.org)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:04PM

madeira

Posted by: Maurice Ghormley (---.static.ida.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:17PM

Mudhole and Bingham both carry some classic twist in size A.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:35PM

I just picked up some Coats and Clark polyester brown and black twist (called "teddy bear") from a local sewing store. Need to use CP to keep the silicone sewing machine lubricant from contaminating your wrap finish.

Posted by: Jim Lueck (---.89.167.154.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 07:07PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess maybe I should get on the phone more and not so much the keyboard. I'll give Dave Lyons or Karen Hapka a ring.........George F....Have you tried the Coats and Clark (teddy bear)? If so, did it maintain a good color contrast after finish? I'm familiar with the precautions of using embroidery/sewing threads. Is it 40 wt?......Thanks again everybody,,,Jim

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 08:57PM

Jim,
It's 40 wt, and it darkens when I put Flex Coat CP on it. I thnk I'd try the Chroma Seal if I wanted to keep the original color. In my case, I am re-doing an old bamboo rod that had varnish over the original twist (Black and white, I believe). The darkened new thread matches the old thread pretty closely. I have not applied finish yet, because I'm still testing wraps and colors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster