I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dye cork
Posted by: John Barbee (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 02:14PM

can you dye cork? What would you use, and will it penetrate all the way through? I want to dye it before gluing up and shaping. i plan to seal the cork with tru-oil after shaping so the dye should not run when wet, right? What are your thought/ experiences.
Thanks,
John

Rodbuilding, cheaper than therapy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dye cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2009 02:52PM

You'll have a very hard time getting dye into the cork.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:18PM

You can try a alcoline dye. Try Mohawk wood stain products

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.78.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:30PM

I doubt any dye/stain will penetrate right through the cork. Cork is too dense. It will give you a surface cover that like you say, you can seal with Tru-oil or the likes.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:35PM

IF I really had to try this, I would incorporate the use of a vacuum system. Using vacuum pressure will force the pores in the cork to open, allowing penetration of the material. As to what extent, I don't know ... but it would definitely penetrate much more than a simple soaking.

Should you decide to give it a shot - let us know the outcome.

Date: March 30, 2009 03:43PM

I like the vacuum idea. i may test a few pieces in a vacuum sealed bag. I plan to let it soak for a day or so. I will post results when done.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 04:18PM

Not sure about natural cork but I've dyed a grip that I made out of the colored bul rings. I used Minwax water-based stain from the big box store and I had them tint it until I got the desired color. As expected, the stain did not penetrate very deep but it actually holds up very well. The guy I made it for has been fishing it for almost a year with no need for a touch-up. I would imagine that natural cork would work well until it was scraped, gouged, scratched, etc. I have some nasty looking rings I might try it on, the minimum qty for the custom stain was 1qt so I have plenty of that too. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Steve

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.67.158.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 04:20PM

What I had to do was tint clear ---after shaping --- coat the handle, then coat again to protect it from rubbing off.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 30, 2009 06:08PM

I have used a old nylon. I spin it at a high speed , this well put a dark petinia on the cork

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 09:04PM

I've been able to darken cork a couple of shades with minwax stain, but it doesn't really dye well.

Terry

Date: March 30, 2009 09:57PM

I am going to try and make full colored cork. Green in particular. I am using green burl and want some solid dark green accent rings to add in. I will start my experiment in the next few days.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 11:43PM

Cork is "closed cell" so it does not absorb fluids. Remember the old cork net floats that lasted for years adrift in the oceans, if they absorbed they'd sink, but didn't.

You may be able to get a shallow surface stain, and then coat with something to protect.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:57AM

Dying cork is no problem at all.

Any good quality paint supplier will help you.

The tints do not penetrate very deeply, so you will need to seal the cork afterward.

Cork seal, is good. Or Bees wax if you have a lathe and can really work with the wax.

Great colours available and great finishes can be obtained.

There are no problems at all, in my opinion.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:22PM

Just buy a pack of rit dye.
Boil up a pot of water, put in the dye, throw in the rings and dye away. Be sure to rotate the rings, and get a block to keep all of the rings submerged while dying.

The dye actually does a pretty good job.

After dying - let sit for a couple of days and then do a good rinse with cold water to get off all of the excess dye that will come off in normal use without first rinsing.

You will be generally pleased with the general and long lasting results.

Take care

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:24PM

p.s.
I assume that you are dying cork rings only - not glued up handles. Also, I assume that you are using epoxy to glue the rings together after dying, rinsing and drying completely.
After the final rinse, I would put the rings in an oven and dry at 200 degrees for a couple of days to get all of the moisture out of the cork before gluing up.

Roger

Date: March 31, 2009 05:55PM

I would also rinse with White venigar this well set the dye. Any way thats what they do with cloths

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 12:19PM

After reading the replies--interesting ideas. I would question how UV stable the dyed cork would be. You might want to put some out in the sun for a few days and see how it weathers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster