I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line Taming
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 01:58PM

Check out this photo - look at the line before and after the stripper. I believe Bill posted something previously, but this is a great angle.
[a.espncdn.com]

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line Taming
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 04:30PM

Nice one Alex! Whenever I see these photos I think we need the stripper closer to the reel. If I can ever get outside again I want to play with it. (This latest storm is bringing us 16 to 22 inches)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.67.158.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 04:30PM

Now that is putting lipstick on those pig-tails LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.NSW.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 30, 2009 09:19PM

Great shot

Posted by: Martin Livingstone (---.dhcp.or.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:00AM

Here is another.

[www.hipocrocoduck.com]

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:15AM

Wow, nice shots!
At first look it does make me think I would want to smooth out that line before the butt guide as soon as reasonably possible. But, I am sure there are other things at work as to why not to put the but guide "too close". I am still learning. These sort of posts make me think of things I maybe wouldn't have otherwise. Kind of ruins the whole cone of flight thing.
Thanks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2009 08:43AM

You can't smooth out the line before the butt guide - that's what the butt guide does. The line will always leave the spinning reel spool in coils. A properly sized and placed butt guide will redirect the line from coils to straight. The subsequent guide after the butt guide finishes the job and from there the line should be totally free of such coils. This is why the NGC works so well - you don't need large ring guides past the first couple or so.

Another thing you want to remember, is that what the line looks like and where the lure goes do not always coincide. The final recipe for success (if overall casting efficiency and distance is your goal) is not what it looks like, but how far the lure travels.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:08AM

This brings up a question that has bugged me for a while. There is a cap with a small hole only a few inches off the spool on any closed face reel and it doesn't interfere with the line spooling off the reel, so why do we use a large eye as a butt guide on an open face reel?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:16AM

Because we don't have a solid cap on the front of a spinning reel to funnel the line into the first guide. The face cap on a spin cast reel serves a certain function.

And as said many times, the butt guide doesn't need a large ring necessarily. Often, the larger rings are used simply to obtain the height required. In other words, a #25 guide ring sits higher than a #20. Height is as important, if not more so, than ring size.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.245.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 11:26AM

For comparison purposes I would be interested in a photo of braided GSP leaving a spin reel spool and entering a stripping guide. For many saltwater situations GSP braid is rapidly replacing mono, as evidenced by products listed in catalogs and the price of premium mono.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 05:55PM

Phil,
I’d like to see that as well. I’ve gone to much smaller stripper guides using braid that would not work well with mono.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster