I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 wt fly rod as spinning rod?
Posted by: david williams1 (---.swgfl.ifl.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:35AM

HI I'm thinking of making a spinning rod for some fresh and some salt water use, nothing too heavy. I've got a 10 wt fly blank that I'm thinking of using. Would this be man enough for the job? I've not made a spinnig rod before!!
thanks
DW

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 wt fly rod as spinning rod?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 07:31AM

the fly blank will do fine and make great spinning rods. it should be rated up to 5/8 oz if it is a 10wt. one thing to consider is that most blank makers void a fly blank warranty if it is not used as a fly rod

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2009 08:26AM

Fly rod blanks don't generally make good spinning rods because in most cases even those consider to possess a fast action are far slower than the popular fast action spinning blanks. I'd look at a true spin/casting blank and save the fly rod blank for a fly rod.

You can always mock it up, tape on the seat and guides and cast it a bit, to see if it will turn into something you'll enjoy using.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 11:28AM

I have built a few fly rods into spinning rods. It has to be something that the customer absolutley wants. They work for that but as Tom said you will more than likely void the warranty. I make a point to make that perfectly clear.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 01:02PM

I was building for me many spinning rod using fly blanks(ALL STAR AUSTIN ,ST. CROIX AVID,ST.CROIX ULTRALEGEND,RAINSHADOW SWITCH ) W5-W10 and i can say very good rods.
In the same time i have changing same fly rod (G.LOOMIS IMX F10812/13M,G.LOOMIS IMX FR12010,SAGE RPLX 1290,SAGE DS2 1090) in spinning rod s and i am very happy with the result.

I don't like fast rod(the fisherman must be fast),i like moderat -fast rod because help you to fight with big fish with tinny line.I fish on the bank with long rods(salt and fresh water) catching many good fish.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 01:47PM

I have a build for 8# fly blanks. Just for spinning rods.

Designed for Cobra style lures, which are very popular here in Tas.

I make sure the customer is fully aware, of the difference of this build. I offer no warranty at all, because the blank is not used for it's designed purpose. To date I have never had one come back in 38 years.

I might just be lucky.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 01:52PM

I have a build for 8# fly blanks. Just for spinning rods.

Designed for Cobra style lures, which are very popular here in Tas.

I make sure the customer is fully aware, of the difference of this build. I offer no warranty at all, because the blank is not used for it's designed purpose. To date I have never had one come back in 38 years.

I might just be lucky.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster