I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

diamond and chevron wraps
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:20PM

I made myself an alignment jig and I have done a few diamond wraps. I'm getting the hang of it; I need to keep practicing. My thread could be a little tighter, I just purchased a dvd on the subject. I didn't find it very helpful (poor quality and not very detailed). Can anyone suggest any helpful dvds or books? Thanks a lot, Michael

PS Also, I have been building rods and looking at this website for over a year. I want to thank everyone who posts information and also questions. I'm hooked on rod building (pun intended)!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: diamond and chevron wraps
Posted by: Al Ciner (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:40PM

Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona is a great book for anyone...from somebody just starting thread wraps, to advanced wrappers. Great information and great patterns, beyond diamonds and chevrons.

Posted by: Darrell Worley (173.67.224.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 10:12AM

I will definetly agree with Al . That is my favorite book It's has endless oppertunity with all the designs and shading. The next thing I would
love to have is the software that goes with the book . So I could actually see my wraps before I do them . The hardware also helps with the
spacing for closed wraps..

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 10:42AM

I picked up Billy's book this weekend and would highly reccomend it. It is a great resource.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 12:57PM

vizwrap is HIGHLY worth the money
I even binned grand theft auto 4 for it LOL
spent a year getting it to work on vista and would recomend it to absolutly everyone that is doing wraps.
The scripts may seem hard to understand but after a couple of hours you soon learn the terminology
Darrel Email me
A.forsdyke@ntlworld.com

Date: March 31, 2009 04:42AM

vizwrap?

Date: March 31, 2009 10:58AM

VISUAL WRAP a program by david boyle

[www.visualwrap.com]

Posted by: John Chamorro (---.178.44.129.PAT-CA.netvelocite.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 11:39AM

I purchased the Visual Wrap. After MANY emails back and forth with Dave who tried his best to help I found the program to be useless to me. Maybe others are computer geniuses and can figure out how to make it run correctly. I wouldn't have spent the money had I actually known what the program was about. My mistake for not doing my homework. BTW anything past email support doesn't happen. Buyer beware.

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2009 12:46PM

Your experience is highly contrary to what most have experienced. Both Dave and Billy Vivona, a dealer for the product, are generally quite happy to help customers who may have problems. After selling the product for several years now, VisualWrap would not be as popular as it is if support were not available.

I wonder what computer system and OS you may be running. The Windows OS isn't always backwards (or forwards for that matter) compatible.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 01:08PM

JOhn, I've helped literally hundreds of people with how to use VW, and I know Dave has gone way out of his way to assist people in getting it up and running.TH eonly people who have problems installing it are those who have Vista or a MAC. Some were able to get it running under Vista, some were not, but Allen F who posted in this thread recently figured out a way to get it to instal using Vista. He posted it both on the VW site, as well on RBO a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 03:26PM

John, You son't say what your problems with it are! I have no idea how many 1,000's of builders are using Vis Wrap, but this is the first time I have ever heard it referred to as useless. As with anything, there is a learning curve associated with it. I think Vis Wrap, in conjunction with Billy's book, is probably the best thing to have EVER come along for thread art lovers.
There are compatibility issues with Windows Vista but there are work arounds.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 31, 2009 03:59PM

I'm using windows XP. Dave has done everything he could to help me get it up and running. I just can't get it figured out to do what i had expected it to do which was to help me lay out hypothetical wraps. I'm sure that everyone who has purchased it is more than happy with it, except me. Dave tried to help me as best he could. The only help I could use now is for them to take it back. I have no use for it.

John

Date: March 31, 2009 06:15PM

Put it on the buy/sell page and somebody is likely to snap it up.

Date: March 31, 2009 06:24PM

I might be interested.

Date: March 31, 2009 07:00PM

Hypothetical patterns...like these? [northeastrodbuilders.com] - There is a learnign curve asociated with teh program, no doubt. Once you put time in and understand how to create the code, it's not that hard. In my book I put in a 5 page HOW TO for those who own VisualWRap,so they can get started and be able to use the program. When I wrote it, my Mom, who has no clue about rod building, wraps, and is barely able to e-mail - I gave her the instructions and she was able to follow the instructions with no help from me at all.

Date: March 31, 2009 07:24PM

I appreciate all the input I'm getting. Billy , maybe you can talk your mom into helping me because even after all the emails back and forth from Dave I still have too much trouble to not make it a frustrating experience for me. I'd gladly sell it to anybody that wants it. I'd check first that Dave will provide a new secret code to make it go. I gave $100.00 for it and would like to get something close to that and might be open to TRADES??

John

Date: March 31, 2009 08:22PM

If you read the section in my book, it might help you out. That's why it is in there. I've done counteless demos and presentations onVW since it came out, there is no question that at first it is confusing and difficult. AS you use it more and more, it starts to make sense and becomes easier to use. I was fortunate enough to have a copy of teh old Rodwrap software which was written in teh early 1990's by Jim Lee. The program apparantly retailed for over $200, and you needed to know how to code in PAscal or somethign similar in order to get it to work. VisualWRap is EXTREMELY easy to use compared to that, and it's a heck of a lot more affordable.

Not to mention having a resource like the person who wrote teh program providing countless e-mails worth of customer support to try and help people with thier problems.

Date: April 01, 2009 08:36AM

Go here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Put up a sell add (it's free) and see if you can sell or trade with someone.

Date: April 01, 2009 10:35AM

Done! Thanks!

Date: April 01, 2009 04:40PM

john
sorry just got in and read your post.
what problems were you having
I can help you just email me
A.forsdyke@ntlworld.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster