I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Importance of Under Wrapping
Posted by: Pete Licis (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:31PM

Hi Folks,

Perhaps the computer gods are not with me today, but I can't seem to find anything on the importance of under wrapping guides. What is the benefit of the under wrap? What could potentially happen if you omit the under wrap? Can it be done with size D thread, or should A size be used?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Importance of Under Wrapping
Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:37PM

From what I can tell, the benefits of underwraps are strictly cosmetic. If you prep your guide feet proper, so they sit flat on the blank and have no burrs on them, the underwraps are not needed.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:45PM

Here try this: [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:10PM

a lot is cosmetic but it can protect the rod from the guide slightly "moving" on heavy rods under high stress (mainly surf and heavy boat)

Posted by: Pete Licis (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:16PM

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys! And Bill, thanks for the links. Interestingly when I searched, I got a whole lot of links, but not to do with my questions. I think searched for both "under wrapping" and "underwrapping" or something like that. I'll check out the ones you got.

Pete

Posted by: Olaf Karsten (---.versanet.de)
Date: March 30, 2009 07:15AM

Use the google site search feature. Results are better sometimes.

Olaf

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2009 08:27AM

Unwrapping is not necessary. Do a good job on your guide feet, getting them smooth and flat and you'll have no problems.

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 04:23PM

A technique that I use is to cut off a tiny sliver of electrical tape, only slightly larger than the shape of the guide feet, and then stick it ont to the bottom of the feet. Works like a charm.

Date: March 30, 2009 05:01PM

What's the purpose of the tape?

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 02:35PM

To prevent rubbing., Works especially well for me in situations where I stress the blank - i.e. in longcasting.

Whit

Date: March 31, 2009 04:54PM

Still not quite sure what "rubbing" is. Once a guide is wrapped and finished, it shouldn't rub or move. And if the bottom is smooth and flat, it wouldn't matter anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster