I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alcohol-dealing with rough hands
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 01:18PM

IF you wear gloves when epoxy-ing up rod grips you cant feel when you have epoxy on the glove(s) and end up transferring it to everything you touch-not good!

If you don't wear gloves you end up washing your hands in alcohol many many times resulting in 40 grit sandpaper hands.

Is there a solution anyone has found? Or a favorite lotion for after times that helps?

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcohol-dealing with rough hands
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 01:34PM

I use blue colored nitrile/latex gloves. If they get epoxy on them, it clearly shows...

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:40PM

Corn huskers lotion is the best I have heard of and I don't use gloves while epoxying for the same reason that you have found. heck, sometimes I am abscent minded and I track epoxy all over the rod even when I'm not wearing gloves. lol Good luck Duane.
James

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:30PM

Dont wear gloves and dont get it on your hands!!! SOunds simple and easier said than done, but its the easy fix. I always have an alcohol soaked rag on the bench when I am doing the finish. It takes care of messes before they become big, but I am serious about not wearing gloves. If you can't feel it when you first get it on your hands, then it will get out of control.

Kevin

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:55PM

From auto mechanics; and other trades; get a high quality skin lotion then load
the hands heavily BEFORE the days work - - - helps - - - especially at clean up time......

jocko

Posted by: roger wilson (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 09:09AM

One thing that helps a bit is a large roll of paper towels.
Whenever I am doing glue ups and have to grab the rod while gluing, I always grab a piece of paper towel before touching the blank.
That way, if I happen to have some glue on my hands or gloves, the glue will get on the towel and not the blank.
This seems to work better for me than any other technique that I have tried.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Before starting a glue up - I always tear off a bunch of towels and have them lying beside me as i start. that way, if I do need a fresh towel, I have at at hand and don't have to rip it off the roll.

Another thing that auto glass installers do while installing windshields and that is to wear multiple pairs of rubber gloves. They use the goo¥ black adhesive that tends to get everywhere during a window install.
So, as they work, if the¥ have to go to a part in the car where there is no glue, they rip off the outer pair of gloves that have the black glue on them and they then have a fresh pair to touch and move the glass as needed.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 02:13PM

Never had the problem.

Sounds like poor work practice to me.

Just my opinion.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:16PM

I think this happens to every one from time to time. I wipe my hands with d.a. many times during a build. The best i have found is: GLYSOMED. I have tried Corn Huskers, Neutrogena and many others.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 07:42AM

Try a product called Eucerin cream. Another trick is that after you are done working for the day, put a really really heavy coat on your hands and then put a set of latex or nitrile gloves on over the cream and leave the gloves on for an hour or so. This forms an occlusive dressing and will really moisturize your hands. (off topic but related) If you get really dry cracked feet, you can do the same thing with an old pair of socks, and leave them on over night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster