I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly tyers best knot, leader to line
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:28PM

I usually use the nail knot to tie my leader to my fly line.

Is there a better knot ?? Was looking at the Albright knot
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly tyers best knot, leader to line
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:57PM

i primarily use a nail knot to flyline and put perfection loop on other end of heavy mono(usually a few inches). i then make my leaders and put a perfection loop in the butt so I can go loop to loop. the heavy mono loop is permanent(so to speak) and it is easy to change leaders. it has worked well for me.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:13PM

Bill,
I take the end of the fly line and bend it over to make a loop. I then take my fly tying bobbin with my 6/0 thread and start wrapping the thread over where the end of the line meets the fly line and just keep wrapping. I get to the point where I hold the loop in one hand and the fly line in the other and swing the bobbin around so it wraps left and right about 1/2 inch total lenght. When you feel you have enough wraps whip finish it 3 times and coat with head cement. What this does is gives you a loop in the fly line so you can go loop to loop with your leader when you need to replace it. It's much easier to replace on the water than retying a nail knot. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. I've caught trout to blue fin with this.I have used the slip on "chinese fingers" with glue and lost a large striper that way and my fly and leader.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:15PM

I like the surgeons loop for mine
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Clyde Alho (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:20PM

Bill,

The Albright knot is generally used to connect the fly line to the backing.
I use the same setup mentioned by JP Timberlake and it has worked well
for me over the years.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:49PM

I use the nail knot for line to leader, a surgeons knot for leader to tippet and an inproved clinch knot from tippet to fly.

Harold

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 12:28AM

I use the Albright for big Steelhead and Salmon, nail knot for everything smaller, same set up as JP's

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 04:05AM

best knot? i don't know. i use a nail knot for fly line to leader and have never had a problem, especially when tied with one of the nifty little nail knot tools out there so i've never felt the need to find a "better knot". like others, i use an albright elsewhere.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:57AM

I've had snook peel the plastic coating off the flyline under a nail not leaving me covered in flyline dumbfounded w/ my fish in the safety of the mangroves! I now always make a loop in the flyline like Dave but I use Plybond instad of head cement. It last longer than a mono loop and just seems stronger. I admit I still use a nail or needle knot while fishing fresh water as the loop to loop seems to catch more weeds while bass fishing and a needle knot just seems so much more delicate when fishing for trout w/ a light rod 2 - 5 weights than having those loops.. Just my 2 cents!

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:34AM

Nail knot a short piece of 30lb Amnesia to the fly line and put a Perfection Loop in the end of that. Then put a Perfection Loop in your leader butts. Simple and strong and everything will lie straight.

The Albright is more in tune with joining the fly line to the backing.

Posted by: George Mock (---.sub-75-197-156.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:43AM

What John and Tom said! Short section of heavy mono attached to the line with a nail knot and a perfection loop in the other end. Semi permanent set up that makes changing leaders a snap. Albright knots and loops in the line are just too bulky for me. I also use a nail knot to attach the backing to the line.

I'm not one for crutches or gimmicks but the little nail knot tools (I think they're called EZ tie) that are sold nowadays work really well!

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:23AM

All of the methods mentioned work, but there is a better way in my opinion. Cortland makes a product called Braided Mono. It comes on a 100 feet roll and is available at most good tackle stores and fly shops. Comes in either 30 or 50 pound test. Fly lines less than 10 weight you can use the 30 pound. Form a loop in the braided mono and pull the tag end into the standing part of the braided mono. Inch the fly line into the braided line all the way to the "y" that forms the loop. Serve the end with 2 or 4 pound test clear mono. Coat with Aguaseal. Do this on both ends of the fly line. To attach to the backing if you dacron you can do the same thing as the braided mono. Form a loop and pull it into itself or if using spectron tie a bimini in the end of the backing. Attach the fly line loop to loop. Changing fly lines is a snap. If using 50 pound test spectron I put a 2 inch piece of Larva Lace inside the loop of the bimini to act as a buffer between the backing and the fly line.
The attachment of the leaders is as follows. The butt section is formed using a Perfection Loop on both ends and one end is attached to the fly line loop to loop. The class tippet is has a bimini loop and is looped to the Perfection loop forming the leader.
This way produces the slickest transition without any bulky knots to hang up in the guide rings.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr01.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 03:46PM

I use furled leaders and therefore have absolutely no need for the nail knot. So I do not use any knots that require a tool. For the line to leader connection I use the Castwell knot from FAOL. It is not very pretty....but it will hold.....I can probably tie it in les than 15 seconds..... and can tie it in the dark. I sometimes coat it with something. But have been thinking about trying to cover it and the furled leader loop with a piece of heat shrink. Just haven't tried it yet. But it does not need a coating to hold. Just thinking about making it a bit smoother going thru the guides. I use a tippet ring in the tippet end of the furled leader. So.....I do not have to use very many different knots. Actually haven't decided on favorite fly to tippet knot. But...with a furled leader....you can do just fine with only two knots. The Castwell knot and the improved clinch knot for tippet to tippet ring and to fly.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 05:08PM

is there any thing that I can coat my knots with that I can get at say Home Depot ?
Mine is as hard as a rock.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr01.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 02:39AM

Well, a shot in the dark. I have some "Liquid Stitch" from Wal-Mart I am going to try on a knot. I like UV Knot Sense but it is not at HD. Also with UV Knot Sense if you are tying a knot at home after dark....it is not going to dry unless you have a UV flashlight. Heat nor any other light will NOT dry it. Gotta be UV rays from the sun or a UV flashlight. I got one....from Umpqua I think. Liquid Stitch says permanent, clear drying adhesive. Can clean wet stuff up with water...but once it dries it says can machine wash and dry. But....says let set up 24 hours. If you are going to prepare in advance this might work. It is clear and pliable when dry. If it is good enough to repair or bond two pieces of cloth together that you can later on through in a washing machine....I would guess that it would hold just fishing it. Just a thought.

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 11:45AM

The braided loops made from 30 or 50 lb. braided mono are are excellent especially when attached with a trap nail knot (use 8-10 lb. mono, 10 turns) at the end of the sleeve. See Dan Blanton's web page.
Also for a nice loop at the end of fly lines you can double over the line and wrap two 10 turn nail knots with mono about 1/4" apart and coat with Loon knot sense or thinned Pliobond. Needle nail knots or regular nail knots are fine for trout gear but nail knots can pull off the line coating under high pressure like a really big fish or trying to free a snag. Some lines don't like nail knots at all like certain clear intermediate lines. Some of the mono core lines typically for hot weather salt water are better rigged without nail knots and there are new technology lines that use non-vinyl coatings and have cores made with GSP or other new type fibers. Check with the manufacturer when in doubt about what knot is recommended for their lines. The rigging used by salt water and salmon/steelhead anglers is tried and true.

John V.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 30, 2009 12:03PM

Depending on what brand of line you are using I have found it best to weld a loop yourself. It is very easy and you will end up with what most factory lines ship with now a days. Airflo lines weld the best IMHO. Behiend that I albright a piece of maxima and run a double surgan's knot off that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster