I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trying to get into this on the cheap
Posted by: Nathan Parker (129.130.172.---)
Date: March 27, 2009 02:54PM

Well, I've been farting around, lurking, reading up, etc for about a year now on building custom rods. Mostly because I'm bored (life's full of those 2 hour gaps that are a bit too short to go fishing, and a bit too long to just do nothing. Laundry doesn't really take that long) but also because no one makes rods with split tennessee handles except quantum and the ONE they make costs $200. I'm a graduate student/teacher so I'm poor and that's not going to change anytime soon (read: EVER). I know this can become a pretty expensive hobby but research has also shown it can be done reasonably too. With that in mind, I've decided to begin with the bare minimum in tools, and start off re-building, because I'm one of those guys who over a long career of fishing has accumulated a wealth of $40-$50 rods that just weren't QUITE right, but have decent components and no resale value. So, for starters, I'm going to take a 6'6" M IM6 trigger rod and a 6'6" MH IM8 spinning rod, and swap them (i.e. make the medium casting a spinning and the mh spinning a casting, also going to shorten the med. 2", to 6'4") I should be able to re-use the guides, which are in good shape, and the blanks once I strip them down. So here's a list of what I THINK I'll need to get my feet wet. Tell me if I'm wrong, or recommend other cheap options.

Tom Kirkman's Rod Building Guide
V-Blocks (I made these out of a really sturdy cardboard box)
Thread tensioner (phone book)
A coarse round file from the hardware store
some scotchbrite pads
a pack of new razor blades
assorted sandpaper
my dremel tool
Size A guidebrod thread
Flexcoat epoxy and high-build finish
hook-keepers
handle materials (I'm going with complete handle kits to start)

I should be able to get all this for ~$100. What am I missing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying to get into this on the cheap
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 03:25PM

If you can reuse all the guides, you should be fine.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 03:26PM

You will probably brushes or spatula for applying finish, a clamp of some sort for grips(elastic bands will do) or a quick grip type from hardware store, denatured or isopropyl alcohol for adhesive/finish cleanup, flat file for dressing guides. I see you have a dremmel but would start with a flat file first on guide feet if youve never done it.

You could also get some coarse paper, some old blank pcs/ broken rod butt sections and contact cement and make a few tapered reamers for yourself. Makes the job simple for reaming grips

Some other builders should chime in here and give you their opinion on this one. I find this type of building ie rebuild, repair to be very challenging and it takes good sound skills and practice to get a good result. There are some very well priced blanks out there to get you started which IMO will let you enjoy your first few alot more.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 03:36PM

You may need a drying motor set up and some reamers to ream out cork grips if you are using cork grips . Medium and Fine files for prepping guide feet (unless you are using your Dremel tool for that. You should have a reel seat Arbor material.
Good luck that is how I started out.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 03:37PM

I'd get a burnishing tool, spatchala set, some plastic mixing cups, flex coat syringes, all of these can be purchase from most of the sponsors on the board. And you will need some kind of rod dryer. These are the main tools that would buy if I was to start back at square one.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Date: March 27, 2009 03:38PM

To some extent my desire to re-build has to do with stewardship of resources. I have 15+ rods with nice blanks and high end guides but which either have poorly designed grips or are just not set up for the type of fishing I do (i.e. spinning instead of casting, etc) and I don't want them to just sit around for 25 years unused. I have a quiver of rods that I"m currently fishing happily with, so I'm in no hurry to slap-bang some rods together, if I can take my time stripping down the old ones properly. Plus, I've heard re-building is a great learning experience, and as a high school teacher, I'm a patient man :)

Date: March 27, 2009 03:43PM

I guess my understanding was that if I was willing to sit there, I could hand turn my rods while they dried? Is this not the case? Also, I will likely order the flexcoat kit that comes with the syringes, brushes, mixing deals, etc. What's a burnishing tool? Also, my assumption was that the coarse round file was in lieu of the reamers. See, I'm a newb. I guess that's what message boards are for.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 04:20PM

Yes, you can hand turn to dry. Be prepared to turn 180 degrees every few minutes for 30-40 mins. (turn the rod , not you!) then less often for a couple of hours. You'll see if the finish is sagging. Some folks will wait till it sags then wipe the drops off before turning again. A burnishing tool is used to flatten out thread wraps. Some have pointed ends to help with packing , or pushing threads together so they lay tight against each other. Yes, you can use a round file for grips. Reamers are a big time saver though. You can make your own, or buy several sizes from a sponsor. Too bad yoy started this, now you won't have any time to spare, never mind an extra two hours.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 04:20PM

Yes, you can hand turn to dry. Be prepared to turn 180 degrees every few minutes for 30-40 mins. (turn the rod , not you!) then less often for a couple of hours. You'll see if the finish is sagging. Some folks will wait till it sags then wipe the drops off before turning again. A burnishing tool is used to flatten out thread wraps. Some have pointed ends to help with packing , or pushing threads together so they lay tight against each other. Yes, you can use a round file for grips. Reamers are a big time saver though. You can make your own, or buy several sizes from a sponsor. Too bad yoy started this, now you won't have any time to spare, never mind an extra two hours.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 04:34PM

If you have a broken rod around you can make your own reamers. I saw a turtorial somewhere I'll try to find it and post it

Date: March 27, 2009 04:35PM

If it takes me 6 months to finish 1 rod, I'm okay with that. I don't want to let it cut into my fishing time, but it'll give me something productive to do in the hour or so after the kids go to bed besides watch TV, which I think is the biggest waste of time ever. If I just wrap 2-3 guides a week or something, that's ok with me. I like to do things right the first time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2009 05:51PM

There is an article on making tapered reamers in the online library here.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 06:42PM

Nathan,

Do yourself a favor and get a drying motor. I still use one that I made from a $5 garage sale rotisserie motor, you can use just about any slow motor. Email me if you want to see how it works. I also firmly beleive that once you start, you won't want to take that long to finish one... or the next one... or the next. Enjoy the addiction!

+1 on the reamers too

Steve

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 08:26PM

Nathan,

You'll need making tape and to save $$ just get 1/2in wide roll and you can cut 1/8 & 1/4in wide pieces.
Tiny to small rubber bands or rubber tubing that you can cut bands from.

All the above are used for securing guides to blank for testing & wrapping.

Tom's book will show you how & what you can get by with & without but you
already have it pretty much covered. As you learn you will discover for yourself
what you will need depending on the specfic methods you prefer.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.bnl.gov)
Date: March 27, 2009 09:48PM

Nathan,

I feel your pain, being a broke grad student myself.

You are right on track. Check with your supplier to know whether or nor you will need to order reel seat arbors, as I don't think many grips sets come with one. I will echo the comments on the reamers. Either build them or buy them. I picked up a set of the Batson reamers a while back at a fair price and they are very nice.

Personally, I don't use a drying motor, and you can certainly get by without one. The finish will lay down very nicely if you follow Tom's instructions from his book.

This hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, and I'm sure you will not stop with a few rebuilds!

Joe

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 01:40AM

reel seat arbors can cheapy be made with masking tape. I have built many a rod using nothing but maskin tape to build up for real seats. Cheap and easy.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:04AM

A shot glass for mixing epoxy, clean up with denatured alcohol, knitting needles as burnishing tool, paper towels for clean up, use the old credit cards as spatulas, braided fishing line as thread pullers, rod wrapping stand from scrap 1x2 lumber, felt strips and C-clamps.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:51AM

If you use masking tape for seats, use 1/4" . And put just three sections on, one on each end and one in the middle. This way the glue adheres to the blank in between the tape. If you put tape completely on the blank and then glue the seat on the tape it will come loose.

Arbors are a lot better.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:47AM

For me it was better to start with what you are starting with and then add thing as you can. You may not have the the best first rod but it will be one you bilt and I am sure it will work just fine for you. I t will not be the only one you will build. Cabelas has expoxy in packets that help when you start. Also can use perglass which is quick drying but take more coats. Good luck.

Edwin Kime

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:38AM

Some of billy V`s medication
an Ipod
along with a kettle and a BIG jar of coffee your off to a good start
DONT buy everything at once just toms book (or dale clemens if you can get it) other stuff you sort of aquire as you need it
but a roll of Masking tape is essential

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster