I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing reelseat
Posted by: gene bethea (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 12:49PM

I'm trying to remove a reelseat from an old fenwick fly rod. i have immersed it in boiling water for an hour; used a hair dryer at the highest heat setting; no seat pins are visible on the reelseat. Anyone have alternative methods of removal, other than cutting it off with a dremel?-gb-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing reelseat
Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 09:57PM

Gene,

If the seat is of the aluminum kind, what I do is remove the rubber butt cap or plug if it has one, mask the end of the cork grip near the seat, if it still exists, and then use a long handled butane lighter to heat it just enough to break the adhesive bond. Boiling water only gets you to 212 degrees and a hair dryer is for hair . . .Even if you cut it with the Dremel tool, its still stuck to the bushings - you need to break the adhesive bond.

Have the hand with the lighter in a leather glove so when you think it is hot enough, you can twist it off fairly quickly. Try to get even coverage with the flame. Aluminum conducts heat well but any spacers used won't so unless you totally torch the seat, the blank underneath will not be harmed.

Good luck and be careful.

Charlie

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:48PM

If you have some blank pieces of close to the same ID and OD of the fenwick- cut the fenwick rod in front of the reelseat. And then clean the inside of the fenwick and insert a spigot that closely matches the fenwick ID taper that is about 10 to 12 outside fenwick diameters long to bridge the cut, Then use a piece of rod blank that matches the fenwick OD over the butt end of the spigot that is the orignal length of the fenwick piece cut off. Use Rod Bond. It will give you plenty of working time.
I assume your not going to save the old reel seat? If you are- try more heat after it have been cut off and remove the old blank section which will likely be damaged due to amount of heat used to loosen it.
Joe Kassuba
HIS Rod Shop

Posted by: gene bethea (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:34AM

good advice to remember. I finally got it off. I kept it in boiling water for one hour and 45 minutes, taking it out every 15 minutes to try to pull it off, then plunging it in ice cold water for a minute before returning it to the boiling pot; it took a long time but finally released. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster