I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EnviroTex Lite as a rod finish?
Posted by: Jack Burton (66.53.221.---)
Date: March 26, 2009 07:43PM

I was browsing through micheals art store with my wife when I saw this two part finish and it looked like it would work well as a rod finish. Do any of you use it? Here is the description:

EnviroTex Lite® is a reactive polymer compound. It cures to a thick, glossy coating in about 8 hours at 70°F, and reaches full strength and toughness in about 48 hours. This durable, resilient material requires no polishing to produce a high gloss. One coat is all that is usually required for a deep attractive finish, however, two or more coats maybe applied one over the other by simply wiping the surface with a clean cloth and alcohol prior to recoating. Four ounces of Envirotex Lite covers one square foot.

I was going to buy some to try it, but I wanted to check with you guys first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EnviroTex Lite as a rod finish?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: March 26, 2009 07:48PM

It's a very popular top coat on custom painted crankbaits. Not sure about using it on a rod though. My gut would say stick with rod finish.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2009 08:07PM

In years past it was very bad to turn brown. That may have changed, but if not, it will get really brown. It wasn't designed for exterior use.

Posted by: Craig Braswell (---.70.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2009 08:51PM

This is my first post here, but have been a long time lurker, so take it easy on me with my first post..
I have used most rod finishes out there, and all have worked just fine.
A couple of my friends have been building rods for quite a few years, and when I asked them what they used as a rod finish, they both said they used Enviro Tex Lite.

I was pretty skeptical about the flexibility and long term effects of UV, or even short term for that matter.
I wanted to see the older rods they built using ET, and I was amazed to see rods over 10 years old with ET used as a finish, that still looked new.

I bought a small kit of it and tried it, I was pleased with the results, and have been using it exclusively for the last couple of years.
My rods are used heavily, and get plenty of Florida UV, and all seem to be looking great. I have heard all the stories about how it cracks, peels, turns yellow and all the other stories. Personally, I have not had the first issue with it, and I have gone through a couple gallons of it.

I would like to add that, it was just like Flex Coat, and the fonts on the bottle and even the bottle it self looks like the same bottle.
I'm not saying it is the same product, but if you want to try a cheaper alternative to the rod finishes you have been using, I think you would like it.

I'm not suggesting to anyone to stop using what you are using now, but you may be pleasantly surprised that there is yet another alternative finish out there to use.
Again, this is only my experience over the last couple of years, they may all fall apart next week, who knows.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 09:05PM

Envirotex produces numerous formulations. Etex light (EX-88 I believe) is one of them. A similar formulation is EX-74 which is said to have UV inhibitors not in EX-88. I spoke with a representative at Envirotex and explained that I'd like to be able to purchase a smaller quantity than a gallon. She directed me to EasyCast, sold through craft stores like A.C. Moore. The MSDS's for EasyCast and EX-74 are identical, though the rep from Envirotex stopped short of saying they were the same thing.

I applied, sanded and polished EasyCast on a reel seat insert. Very hard once cured, but I wasn't confident the luster would last. One day I'll try it again.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 10:04PM

I used envirotex lite (from Michaels) on an outdoor table last year after about two weeks in the sun it had yellowed badly and by end of summer was pretty brown. I wouldn't use it on rods for that reason.

Posted by: Guadalupe Raya (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 12:33AM

i have used it on a couple of rods and after a year it has not turned yellow yet and i used it on some white wrappings so far so good i used some flex coat and it turned yellow on some white wrapping just sitting on the garage

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 03:50PM

EnviroTex years ago I used EnviroTex. I needed a quick finish for a customers rod. By the end for the summer I got it back. They may have improved the finish by now. I ould find all the company info. I could youmight call the company about the possible use.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jack Burton (---.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 04:19PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will take some scrap blank, wrap it and through it out in the sun and see what happens. I just didnt want to spend the money if it was unanimous, but it seems like it may work based on some responses. Ill try it out and let you guys know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster