I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shaping cork
Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 09:52PM

i've been doing alot of reading and i've learned that sandpaper is the main tool to use in shaping cork.
well, can i use sharp chisels to shape cork too?
thank you.

please dont be alarmed, my name comes up often asking questions, i'm as green as it gets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shaping cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2009 09:55PM

Not really. Cork is just soft enough that it doesn't cut cleanly. However, you do need to use a half-round scraper on the cylinder before shaping to get it concentric to the center bore. Otherwise, the sandpaper will just float on whatever you started with and the outside may be off-center to the inside bore.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.221.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:01PM

Ridge;
You're welcome to try it, but cork is so soft compared to wood that you run a high risk of tearing it out in chunks rather than taking a nice clean shaving like with wood. I like to use pieces of red aluminum oxide sanding belt, it lasts a lot longer and I get old 6"x5' belts from my old bosses edge sander, they last for ages. 60 or 80 grit takes off cork in a hurry, 120 or 150 smooths it out well and finishing with 400 leaves a real nice surface.
john

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:36PM

In addition to the other comments, the use of backing boards behind the sandpaper may help.
Most of the time, the use of sandpaper looped around the spinning handle worke very well.
However, if you have glue ridges to cut through, or if you have two different kinds of material in the handle - for example a natural cork and a rubberized cork, use the backing board to keep the sanding level.
If you don't use the backing board, you will have the softer material cut faster and gouge out.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:54PM

I do not have a wood lathe. So to "round" stabilized wood from square to rings I chuck in a large drill press running at 2400 RPM and round the squares using a belt sander running counter to the drill press rotation. Works very well. The next time I shape a grip on a blank using the FlexCoat wcork lathe I am going to try the belt sander, gently, with 50 grit to rould the grip. Let the cork "bump" on the sander until round. I think it will work.
Herb

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 11:02PM

If you want to make the cork concentric around the hole, you need to use a tool and a tool rest, not sandpaper.

Tom mentions a round nose scraper, which will work but it has to be very sharp. An alternative that I know Tom uses as well is a stanley surform tool, or a coarse flat wood rasp. make sure you use the tool rest when removing initial material until all the surfaces have been formed by your chosen tool. If you set the tool on the rest, then present it to the material for a bit, then remove it, you'll see that only part of the surface has been removed (the high side). Just continue until all the surfaces have been touched. You should square the ends with a bastard mill file as well. The bastard file can be used as a parting tool to create shoulders and ridges, just like a parting tool for wood turning.

Once the piece is concentric, then you can move to the sandpaper to get the final shape and finish desired.

Hope this helps. Get Andy's DVD on turning cork and reelseats. You'll find it most helpful.

Terry

Date: March 25, 2009 11:36PM

thank you very much guys. i'll get the DVD.
anyways, here are the tools that i need

1- half-round scraper
2- stanley surform tool
3- coarse flat wood rasp
4- bastard mill file

to move on, can somebody link me to this tools please, like pictures? i dont know much about tools, i know some screwdrivers and pliers and those things that my dad use to cut pipes and that's it. am not tool savvy. i'm regretting not spending time with my dad in garage, i could've known more about tools. much of my life was wasted on video games.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2009 12:23AM

Ridge,

I'll add one more for you to consider. Bill Stevens introduced something that is perfect for dealing with turning cork. Go to your local pharmacy in the foot care section and get a callous remover. I got one at Wal Mart that has the raspy side on one side, and sandpaper on the other, works great. I also use a surfom sometimes, but you have to be real careful with it, it takes down material VERY quikly and you can ruin a grip in a hurry.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 12:26AM

I glue different grits of sandpaper to paint paddles-I use them resting on their edge on the drill press table I turn cork on. This allows me to maintain a distance from the spinning grip that allows it to only contact the "high spots" as Terry mentioned. The table affords a rest of sorts. Also as he said once you are contacting all of the circumference-then it is concentric. I have found a way to use sandpaper to create a concentric grip, as Herb has. Slightly different paths to the same destination. Designs born of necessity.

Chris

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 09:44AM

Ridge,

Try this for a file set.
[www.homedepot.com]

It contains both types of files. Make sure that the bastard mill file (the one with the finest cutting surface) has a file surface on the narrow edge as well as the wide edge. You'll need this for parting and cutting shoulders. Some of the inexepensive files don't have this surface machined.

This is all I could find for a surform picture. There are models that are longer that look more like a file. I would stick with the wood rasp as it's more forgiving and easier to learn with.
[www.lowes.com]

Here is a picture of a round nose scraper. [www.woodcraft.com]
I generally don't use lathe turning tools on cork much, unless I'm putting in a sharp feature that I can't get with sandpaper. With some of the composite corks, the lathe tools come in handy as it's much tougher stuff. A spindle gouge is also handy and can be used for lot's of other features as well. Here's a picture of this one.
[www.woodcraft.com]

Hope this helps. Shoot me an email if you have more questions.

Terry

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 09:51AM

Chris,
Before I tried the belt sander I also glued 80 grit to a piecs of poplar and let the grip "bump" on the now-rigid wood backed sandpaper until round. I think using a sureform tool, which I also use, is the same princple.
You just have to be careful and patient not to "push" the sandpaper into the cork. Let it bump.
Herb

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 09:58AM

I found that I prefer a flat scraper rather than a round nose scraper for a nice straight or flat surface for the first shaping of the cork. My suggestion is to get some cheap cork and do some practicing. In the long run this is an investment which will pay off.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 26, 2009 10:03AM

My tool for forming cork is the flat side of an old horseshoeing rasp, then go to sandpaper for finishing. Do not use the tooth side of the rasp or you'll have no cork left.

Date: March 26, 2009 10:10AM

I use the Sureform to knock off the epoxy ridges but the round nose scraper to get the cylinder concentric.

Date: March 26, 2009 02:23PM

other than woodcrafter, wher else can i get the round nose scraper? does home depot or lowes have it?
thanks.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 02:43PM

If you are near Harbor Freight you can probably get a cheap set of turning tools which will likely have what you need.

Date: March 26, 2009 04:26PM

Right, for this task it doesn't have to be a high quality tool - almost any brand or quality scraper will work.

Posted by: Joseph C Phelps (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 05:39PM

I use RED DEVEL DRAGON SKIN if you can find it , It is matalic and shapes cork very easy without gouging.
Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 10:35PM

As Tom said, nearly any sharp tool will work fine.
I piecked up a set of nice high quality wood chisels that have razor edges on them for much of my turning.
These shorter handled, narrower bladed edges seem to work very well for turning handles.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster