I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TK Spiral Question
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 02:43PM

Tom,

For you personally, when doing spiral wraps, do you use a guide at 0, approximately 90 and 180; do you do just 0 and 180; or do you go straight from the reel to 180? I'm trying to envision how the master works.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TK Spiral Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2009 02:47PM

I've used all the various systems and found them all to work.

For me personally, I put the first guide at 0 degrees and the next one at 180 degrees. Then all the rest at 180 degrees.

If I were casting and retrieving hard running plugs, I might offset the first guide to the opposite side of the rod that the line passes by on, so that the line comes onto the reel from a true 0 degrees. Otherwise it can stack heavy to one side. But this is not always the case. You can tape up a set and try it and see what your reel and plugs require.

Date: March 25, 2009 03:08PM

So you just don't worry at all about the line touching the blank as it passes from top to bottom? That has never created problem for a rod as far as you know? Because if there is no point in putting one there I'll start saving myself the fuss and trouble?

Date: March 25, 2009 03:18PM

It doesn't hurt a thing but over time can dull the finish or paint on the blank there. Most of my rods are natural finish and there is nothing to scuff. But if that bothers you, install a Bumper guide. Just make sure you do not adjust the spacing of the other guides. The Bumper guide is an addition to, not a part of, the regular guide spacing.

Date: March 25, 2009 03:34PM

That's good info to know.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 05:03PM

Marty,
I generally put the first guide at about 5 degrees, the next at 65 degrees, the next at 130 degrees and the 4th and rest at 180 degrees.
After building lots of spirals, it just seems that this set up works better for me.

Try some variations and use the one that makes the most sense to you for your blank, reel, and spacing.
Roger

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 07:30AM

Im with Roger with this one. It may be ok for freshwater rods, but having the line touch on larger rods will be a no go for any saltwater rods. At minimum, the spiral should be a 3 guide transition and I use a 4 guide transition from 5 degrees to 180 degrees. 5,90,135 and 180 are the rough estimates on my transition.

Kevin
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: March 26, 2009 08:29AM

Or the Simple Spiral with with a Bumper guide. I've used that on heavy duty saltwater rods for a decade.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2009 09:09AM

I use a 3 guide transition on rods I dont own. I do however believe the simple spiral is slightly superior to using a full 0-60-90-180 transition.

There is something to be said for looks at some point. I gave up trying to talk people into the simple spiral a while ago, as that bumper guide just "looks" out of place to most, when in fact its not really a guide in use, just something to keep the line out and away from the blank. Trying to explain that to someone doesnt work very well all the time. Even when the do understand it, most want something that is more along the lines of "normal" looking. At least this has been my experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster