I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Phenix Blanks
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: March 25, 2009 12:43AM

I just received a Phenix blank that I ordered for a customer and there is an issue with the blank that is making me pull my hair out. The blank came with a sort of, I don't know, painted on decal or something that can be scraped off with a razor blade but the finish on the blank is not under the "decal" and the decal is half under my planned split grip and half exposed, to make things worse it does not correspond with the spine so I cannot adjust the grip spacing to make it look like it was part of my plan. Does anyone know how to get this thing off? I thought of using a solvent, but any solvent that would take the "decal" off would likely take the finish off. I have no idea what to do and even worse I am in a rush on this job, aren't they all a rush huh? But practically three weeks back ordered and of course the customer putting the order off means that I have to hurry. lol. As always any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Phenix Blanks
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 01:25AM

Could you just paint the blank in the exposed area of the split grip to hide the decal?

Date: March 25, 2009 03:50AM

I have several ideas that are acceptable to me but my customer is very precise on what he wants and seeings as how he has paid 300.00 in materials I don't blame him for wanting what he wants. I will present him with such plans only if no one on here can tell me what to do about it. Why would Phenix do such a stupid thing, how about including a decal with the rod information on it separate from the blank like the rest of the industry. Or at least make the "decal" removable like the rest of the industry. I am sorely disapointed, if they make such ridiculous decisions regarding such things I worry about the quality of their products.
James

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 08:41AM

Be sure to pass your frustration on directly to customer service at Phenix. I would have similar frustrations, and I have some Phenix blanks on the way to try out. But they need to hear directly from builders about these types of experiences in order to make corrections.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 08:42AM

JAmes, I would offer help but after your last comment I'm not going to bother.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2009 08:48AM

Phenix has a reputation for making high quality products. That nomenclature is screen printed on the blank - they spent extra to have that done and it was done for a purpose.

First, so it won't peel or scratch off easily. Second, so any warranty return will have the logo fully in place so there is no question as to who made the blank. GUSA used to screen print their logo on their blanks as well.

Phenix, like most commercial and many if not most custom builders, does not build on the spine so they're not likely too concerned with that aspect of the logo alignment. More than likely it is on the straightest axis.

Consider hiding it without removing it. Wrap over it. Put some type of signature wrap there and if you ever have to return it for a warranty situation, you can remove the wrap and the required logo will still be in place.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 25, 2009 09:40AM

Doesn't seem that complicated to me. Wrap over it or paint it.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 11:52AM

I haven't seen any of these blanks, but this might work: remove the finish off the blank where your split grip is going to be. Then put a "new" finish on, then this area should look like the rest of the rod.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 11:59AM

Explain to the customer that this is the way Phenix marks and keeps their warranty in place. Then let the customer decide to wrap over, paint, or whatever....give them the options! I'd say it'd be a nice place for a hook keeper :-)

Shikari did this writing in the split grip area as well.

Seems to me that the makers could screen print in the 1st 2" or so of the rods butt. That part is nearly always covered by a grip of some kind.

DR

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 12:08PM

Put one of the new electric decals outlined in the last Rod Maker magazine over it.

Date: March 25, 2009 12:31PM

Awesome, thanks, thats why I always go to you guys, I had no idea that there was so much thought put into such a feature and I personally still don't like it because it seems like I have to work around it. It sounds like I offended some people and I don't know wny, I have every confidence that phenix makes amazing products that is why i talked my customer out of a 300.00 G Loomis and into this Phenix that I had no doubt was and is amazing. A decal cannot effect the awesome action and light construction.

Tom, as far as building on the spine or the straightest axis I have heard both methods on here but I actually thought that they were supposed to be used together like when their seems to be more than one spine then I thought that one is supposed to pick either the one that is straighter or the stronger spine. No matter how many hours I devote to this craft it seems like I am still learning as much now on a daily basis as I was a week after I started.

Thanks for all the ideas, and I apologize to anybody who was offended by my opinon, between the off ended on here and the one in my personal e-mail I will be sure to keep my opinions to myself.
James

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2009 12:38PM

The spine is rarely going to be along the straightest axis, nor exactly opposite it either. Since spine orientation can't make the rod stable (stop twisting) nor affect casting accuracy, it may not be something you will wish to bother with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster