I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

my diamonds arent working.
Posted by: Greg Calkins (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 10:03PM

with the help i got from everybody here my pratice diamonds were good. the only problem is that putting it on a rod is a different story. i praticed on a piece of pvc pipe and it was no problem. i think i made a mistake and put my cork on first. is this right or wrong? i have no problem going up the rod but i have a hard time finishing down the rod. after a bunch of passes( i want thick diamonds) there will be so much tape i wont be able to figure out where i am. i would really like to do everything by hand and not put on a premade design. what do i do?

thanks Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my diamonds arent working.
Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 10:39PM

No problen putting the cork on first. I build a thin, hollow, tape ramp above my winding check, wrap the wrap right on up onto the handle, and tape it off up there where size doesn't matter. When tying off, I start tipward and once I get to the ramp, I remove it and finish the wrap. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 10:45PM

The use of double sided carpet tape or masking tape rolled backwards over itself prevent s the buildup of tape. The thread sticks to the tape rotate the rod once and go on the blank. First tape a piece of paper towel onto the blank or cork and apply the tape to that to make it easier to remove with out cutting into the blank.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 03:44AM

the above post make good points. when i started doing buttwraps i use wood dowels and they looked great. When i did my first one on a rod, well that is a diffrent story all together. I found it better in the long run to practice on old rods, i found it more "realistic" than using an untapered object, especially when you get into closed wraps. I like double sided tape myself.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2009 08:54AM

This problem is easy to correct but I can't spend the time retyping what I already put in the book for Amato, Rod Building Guide. It shows how to deal with all the tape and does so in photos.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 06:07PM

Hi Greg,

I always do the diamond last myself and it should be done after the handle is assembled. The edge of the cork, EVA etc. can be dented with the tension of the thread. While the shape returns back to normal on EVA, sometimes on cork it doesn't. Or the filler can be damaged or dislodged. I like to wrap a cut peice of hard paper, like a piece of file folder around the grip and onto the seat. I taper it down to the edge of the winding check and also use another on the other end toward the rod tip. l use the stripper guide and marks on the blank, tape etc. to keep the wrap straight. The thread builds up on on each side or only the handle side depending on the style of wrap and I only use tape when ending a run for the next color. Later cutting the thread off is easy because I have the heavy paper wrap on the grip to prevent damage to the blank or grip and the grip is never dented.

Hope I didn't create confusion to the other fine suggestions. I remember my 14 year old nephew trying to figure out decorative wraps on his own from a Dale Clemmens book. He did really well but it was the little issues that are never mentioned that keep him problem solving at night instead of doing his homework.

Unfortunately, I have never read the book Tom mentioned and haven't been around other builders while doing diamonds but this is how I do it. I do like Stu's double sided tape idea and will use it.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster