I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Topwater Casting Blank
Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 08:52PM

Last week, I was in my local BPS and "wiggled" a St.Croix SCIII6'8" Med Xtra-fast; this thing felt like the ultimate topwater rod for fishing everything on top with the exception of big Spooks. The blank is available, but it cost $100+. Great rod, probably worth the money but I don't want to spend that kind of change. Anybody know of another favorite topwater blank that you or your customers really like? I will fish Pop-Rs, stickbaits, Smithwick Rogues, Spook Jr's, probably even small spinnerbaits (on farm ponds). Looking at 6'6" up to about 6'10" max. Come to think about it, it could also double as a spec rod down in God's Country, south of US Highway 190 in Louisiana.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Topwater Casting Blank
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 09:05PM

Adam I suspect we are close (miles) and suggest you try the Castaway XP3 784. Take a look a the details of this blank at: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

If you notice the address we may be in the same part of the heaven you note - Baton Rouge and Houma - if close drop by!

Gon Fishn

Date: March 23, 2009 09:38PM

Nope, Redneck Central...the Ark-La-Tex! Shreveport/Bossier, site of the 2009 Bassmaster Classic. But we are fanatic about fishing for specs and reds...Grand Isle, Big Lake, and Sabine Lake are my favorites.

Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 10:03PM

Adam,

I built on a castaway xp3 (844p) last month for myself and i am very happy with the performance and price. Been gettin 'em here in east tx with it. I'm goin' costal in 4 days for a week of spec and red fishing with it, and i can hardly wait to get a nice red on the business end of it. I look forward to building on a few more of the blanks!! hope this helps.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 12:13AM

The Seeker Bass Spinning 706 S-glass blank will do everything you have in mind. Give Anglers Workshop a call - they will know this blank.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 09:15AM

adam, bill gave you good advice. another option is call scott at fishsticks. he should still have a few 813 allstars left. it is a good blank for what you are looking to do. it is good to hear from some of those "yankees" from north LA. I grew up in Natchitoches

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 09:51AM

Adam, that 3C68MXF blank from St. Croix is one of the best blanks on the planet. I would think you could find for under a $100. It's well worth the money & if you are going to use it much, you'll be soooo glad you spent the extra.
Jeff

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 09:53AM

The other blanks mentioned in this thread are all excellent blanks, but if you are sold on that particular blank the Batson RX7 ISB 802.75 is identical in power and action, and a tiny bit lighter, for about ½ the price.

Date: March 24, 2009 10:13AM

Adam, I will now deal with you for all to see. You Yankees, north of I 20, may have had the Classic this year but guess where it will be for next year - 2010 - Below Highway 90 in the bayous off the Mississippi River The Swamp Boyz have petitioned the Tournament Committee to allow the Elites to include the "Bull Red Fish" that live in the same water with their Bros "de Green Trout AKA Bass, in their daily bags. When Dewey puts them hogs on the scale the day totals may push 200 pounds. Be sure to bring big boy rods for dippin in the roseau cane with creature baits!

Yesterday! This is de place that the Classic winner next year will load his well - we are passing the bass headed for the specs in the bay! The Elites will run their rocket sleds about two and a half hours each way from the launch to this cut off of Flat Boat Pass in the Main Pass Area of the Mississippi River.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 10:50AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Joshua Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: March 24, 2009 11:31AM

Rainshadow RX6 822.5 is very similar to that St. Croix and a great bargain. The RX7 822.5 is in between the 2 in price but the RX6 makes a fantastic rod and is cheap.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 03:08PM

The ISB 822.5 is the same as the 3C69MLXF and a lot less powerful than the 3C68MXF. The ISB 802.75 is not just close to the 3C68MXF, it is identical.

Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: March 24, 2009 03:25PM

I just built three rods, 2 spinning and one casting on the ISB822.5 and I agree for small topwater and jerks, this is a great blank for the money.
For Frogs and Spooks, I would move up to the ISB843.
The Castaway XP3 blank is awesome as well. I would either use the 822 or 823 for topwater choices in the OP
I built on an 842 for finesse baits and light jigs and it is a great blank for the money. Would probably work well for Spook jrs and PopRs
The greatest thing about either the Batson or Castaway blank is that you either get Karry Batson or Bill Stevens as technical advisors.
Cannot beat that!

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Date: March 24, 2009 05:40PM

Geez....is this a GREAT forum or what?

Date: March 24, 2009 09:17PM

Bill to Karry - dit dot dit!! I feel the ground shaking, the herd may soon stampede - somebody may get trampled - tomorrow I will clean fish, cook and clean the boats - I will leave all teknicul stuf to U!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster