I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tapered Steel Rods for blank making???
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 04:58PM

Does anyone know where I can get tapered steel rods to use as the internal mold?

I'm looking for 6' - 7' (or longer) with a taper from approx 1" to .3" for some custom stuff I'd like to try.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tapered Steel Rods for blank making???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2009 05:02PM

There is a company that specializes in making tapered steel mandrels for the rod blank industry. You would be very surprised (and perhaps put off) by the price.

The difficulty with simply have a machine shop make you such a thing is the diameter of the tip - which is going to be a lot smaller than .3" unless you plan on making blanks with tip diameters as large as your thumb. Take a look at the tip of any similar blank you have and notice the opening there - that's the diameter of the mandrel tip you'd need.

Date: March 23, 2009 05:06PM

Thanks Tom - Actually looking to make gaff blanks - the large tip opening is to support the gaff head.

I've looked to a couple of machine shops, and you are correct - the price is staggering.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 05:13PM

If you are going to use graphite you will also need an oven to bake the product if you wish to have untimate strength.
Herb.

Date: March 23, 2009 06:40PM

Okay, if you're talking about something larger, you can likely find somebody in your area that could make you such a thing. And the cost would be far less.

I assume you'd make your shafts with the same carbon-skin technique outlined in RodMaker year before last? That would be far more economical than cutting a flag and then rolling, wrapping, cooking, stripping, etc., in the way that a rod blank is made. There are numerous bi and tri-axial sleeves available that make what you want to do entirely feasible.

Date: March 24, 2009 05:24PM

I have made shafts for canoe and Kayak paddles that way for a long time - but there is usually no taper involved,
so using standard steel pipe is no issue there.

I was just hoping to find something already made. Thanks Again

Date: March 24, 2009 05:32PM

It is possible that you could make such a thing in that diameter on top of a tapered wood shaft (coated and protected of course), which would be much less expensive to have made. Many woodturners would likely do it for very little money, provided they have the bed length required.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster