I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Too many guides?
Posted by: Stephen Gilmartin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2009 12:41AM

I just strung up an All-Star GXGC647 5'4" blank with a pistol grip. I tried 7 then 8 then 9 and settled on 10 guides plus a tip. I static loaded all configuration and settled on the 10 guides. THe rod is spiraled and cast really well with the guides taped. Am I an idiot for putting so many guides on this blank or has anyone else ever done this many on a short light rod. Guides are 10, 8, 6's on out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too many guides?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 01:01AM

Steve,
If you are happy with the action of the rod, with the number of guides on it - go for it.
However, for this blank - especially with a spiral wrap -- I would think that a smaller number would be appropriate. Actually, I would think that 6 or 7 would be about right.

How far up the blank do you have your first guide placed? If you place the first guide too close to the reel seat, you will need to make up for it by adding more guides. Generally speaking you don't need the first guide any closer than about 18-20 inches up the blank.
Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:06AM

With a blank as heavy powered as that one is I'd also think you have a few to many guides. I don't know what kind of spiral you're using, but try , just for fun, a spacing something like 5 inches from the tip, than 6 inches apart there after.
The good thing is that blank has the power to carry just about any configuration you come up.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:12AM

A rod of that length really doesn't need that many guides. I'd back up and try maybe 6 plus a tiptop and see how that feels to you.

One thing - since it is spiral wrapped, are you using a good many guides making the transition? That would be where the seemingly high number comes in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster