I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ABALONE AND MOTHER OF PEARL FOR ROD WRAPPING
Posted by: scotty ventura (---.maui.net)
Date: March 21, 2009 01:42AM

Hi Gang, Scott here from Aqua Blue Maui and we just wanted thank each and every one of you out there for letting us show you the way to some of the most custom rod wrapping pure top shelf ABOLONE or MOTHER of PEARL you will find any where. It also been our pleasure to help , and to work with each and every one of you who today have begun to see for your self just how fabulous a product our Thin Lam Pearl veneer really are. Mr Kevin Knox has come out with a great step by step DVD which shows and tells you every thing you will very need to know to get wrapping in Pearl!

We must to tell you how ever that there are now some products that have come to our attention from other companyies that you do need to know about and be aware of there delaminating effects that will happen in time. And these shops and companies they know nothing about this effects and what will happen from there misguided efferts in trying to make you believe they know otherwise or started this new concept of wrapping fishing rod in real Mother of Pearl. Folks "Do Not Trust" your hard work , craftmen ship and end sales to any other product other than a Aqua Blue Maui's Award winning Thin lam which is tried and test and proven to be the very best for the last 14 years! Just have look at the rods on the market with our pearl today!!

We have been doing this since 1996 and know ever inch of our product and how best to work the real Mother of Pearl and will guarantee every one of our Thin Lam product to you. And we will guarantee best lowest price hands down . We sell full size sheets of pearl and not a 3 to 4 inch section at a time which you will be paying far to much for . Why becouse you will pay less from us for a full size sheet , rather than there virsion of inches for dollars?? . We just wanted to let all of you know before you get taken. Thanks you very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ABALONE AND MOTHER OF PEARL FOR ROD WRAPPING
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2009 01:48AM

are you just wholesale?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2009 07:19AM

So are you saying that the small strips are from a different manufacturer???

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2009 08:51AM

Scotty,

I think you have a great product and Kevin's DVD is fantastic. Well worth a builder's time to learn and practice. Just one more thing to add to your bag of options for your customers.

But, let's not run down the product from another company. We don't do that sort of thing here.

Keep promoting your fine product but please leave out the commentary on what others are offering. They have their fans, too. Thanks.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 07:45AM

Scott,
ABM is not wholesale only, but you can also buy it from me as I stock it here on the mainland US. Check out my website to the left at www.anglersenvy.com. I have a good inventory with probably 25 different colors on hand.

Fred, there are other places that sell veneer in 3x5" pieces for the same price as ABM's 5x9" pieces. Thats 15 square inches compared to 45 square inches. So, you get better quality grade veneer with adhesive backing for the same or less money. I have done extensive research on both products as I have put this veneer on dozens of rods at this point and there are differences. ABM veneer is grade A and other veneer out there is grade B at the grade A price.

Scotty is absolutely passionate about the veneer that he sells and there have been verified reports of veneer destruction when this other veneer was used with the vinegar soak method. The reason for that was that the % coverage of veneer on any given sheet is very small with the other brand. On any given sheet, there is a % coverage of actual shell and then in very small spots on the veneer, there are areas that need to be filled in with filler. With the ABM veneer, these spots are negligible and on the other companies veneer, these spots are larger. Im not being negative on the other stuff, but just want to make sure that everyone knows that there are differences and that my method has uncovered that difference in veneer.
Again, not running down but rather just making a point of full disclosure and explaining the differences in quality. I want everyones first experience with the veneer to be a positive one and since I know Scotty well, I can tell you that his passion and expertise in veneer is very strong. Some will try my method and others will try the crush and run method, but either way, have fun with it and give it a try!

Contact me if you need any help.

Kevin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 08:45AM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:15AM

Kevin,

I'm glad you posted what you did - often a person will get bad results and blame the wrong aspect of the process. If the veneer you and Scotty mention is not up to par for being used with this technique it will be called out soon enough.

But let's make sure we relate these things in a nice way. Scotty is obviously very proud of his product and I just didn't want him to be seen as bashing a competitor's product. In the end, the products will speak for themselves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster