I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much epoxy is required to coat wraps?
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 01:21PM

I have always though that the purpose of lite build thread coating was to cover the wrap with the minimum amount of material to cover the threads thereby conserving the amount of added mass to the rod. I thought one coat was sufficient. Now I read suggestions of using multiple coats or multiple coats required when using lite build epoxy. How much epoxy is really necessary? If you need multiple coats then why not use high build in the first place? I thought using high build was a matter of personal preference or cosmetics for rod builders or customers who prefer the look of a thicker finish. Do certain types of rods require thicker thread finish?

John
God bless the troops and USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much epoxy is required to coat wraps?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2009 01:53PM

Depends on how much you put on per "coat." The single coat I use may equal the 3 coats somebody else uses, and they may feel they get better results by using 3 thinner coats.

On your other question, heavy duty saltwater rods, charter boat rods, etc., that are expected to see a lot of rough use, getting bumped, banged, scraped, etc., generally do better with a little more finish thickness in order to offer a bit more protection to the thread. Lighter rods or those that don't see that kind of daily use or abuse, can obviously get by with a thinner top coating.

Date: March 20, 2009 02:35PM

Would it be a good guideline to say that the heavier the rod the heavier the amount of epoxy-- a 5 wt fly rod to have thinner epoxy than a 10 wt rod?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2009 02:38PM

Maybe, maybe not. When I speak of a heavy duty rod I'd be speaking of something far heavier than a 10-weight fly rod.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 06:39PM

Even when I use ether finish. I apply thin multiple coats. I apply one coat then I remove all excess. Let set tell it is tacky and repeat the process till I get the desired covering. I hate one coat systems

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 08:09PM

Like Bob I apply multiple coats first coat soaks thru the thread and fills the tunnel and I can trim any rough edges that might show. Subsequent coats build to thickness I want. I don't remove the excess on the first coat but with the lite formulas they seem to soak thru better. I am using TM Lite now but can't really tell the difference between TM and FC.

Bruce

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 08:15PM

John,

I use multiple coats of thin/lite finish. What I'm trying to achieve on freshwater rods is this: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I want just enough finish to cover the threads. If I can feel the threads or see thread ridges, I'll add one more coat. I think having just enough finish to cover the threads is a good rule, for me anyway at least.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2009 08:16PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Date: March 20, 2009 08:42PM

Thanks that is what I am shooting for. I would suspect that with very thin coats bubbles are not an issue.

Date: March 20, 2009 08:47PM

DR what you don't want are footballs That is one reasonwhy I do thin multiple coats

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2009 10:35PM

On my personal rods, they all have a minimalist approach and barely even cover the guide wraps. All my intent to do is pretty much seal off water intrusion on those rods. Permagloss or any of hte lite build finishes work great for this, but on others rods, they want the "pretty factor" which I cannot attain with a single coat as I use 2-3 very thin coats of high build finish.

Date: March 21, 2009 08:31AM

DR that is a great finish job, looke vary even all over, the transition from blank to wrap is fantastic

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster