I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blue rod blanks
Posted by: russell cook (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2009 07:41PM

Would anybody know who makes a blue rod blank for 50-80 lb 7ft boat rod, and maybe where to get it? Thanks.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blue rod blanks
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 19, 2009 08:05PM

Don't see many blue colored blanks. Seeker made some CLB and CJB in blue but I don't know if they sill are. St croix I thought makes some to??Billy Vivona might know as he builds alot of boat rods like that!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 08:21PM

Seeker should have them. I have a 6' jigging blank I deseinged with Randy from Seeker which I'm hoping to have in stock in a couple of weeks. I am going to have them in Blue & Grey. It is going to be called teh Hercules, and I'm sellig it as an XL Lite blank. Here's a picture of my lifting 30#'s up with it; [www.rodbuilding.org]

HEre are pictures of teh lighter prototype with various wieghts hanging from it: [stripersonline.com] At some poiint in the near future I hope to have this same blankin 7', I'll then work on other models.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2009 08:27PM

A blank that large is SUPER easy. Buy any blank that floats your boat, prep it for painting, spray 3-5 very light coats of the color blue you want and then follow with 2-3 light coats of marine urethane. Done.

Tools ... a big old cardboard box, a portable rod dryer, an outdoor table at least 5' long and an extension cord
For paint ... Krylon for Plastic
For urethane ... Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss

Time = 2-3 hours, start to finish

The end result is terrific and holds up well. Get with Todd at Mud Hole for complete instructions and a suitable blank.

Date: March 19, 2009 08:30PM

Thats some awsome testing, That looks like what I need. If I can't find it I'll email you Billy and see if I can get one through you. Thanks.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Date: March 19, 2009 08:33PM

That could also work Jim, thanks. The guy wants a blue blank to go with his blue and silver theme. So that might just work.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Date: March 19, 2009 08:34PM

lol. I wish I could get $10 for all teh people that told me how easy it was to color blanks. I tried 3 times, all I got was a lot of runs and drips and sags and inconsistant finishes, not to mention a lot of extra weight on lighter blanks. I'v eseen some GREAT finishes from individual rodbuilders. I've also seen some abortions (and have some myself). If you donot have anair compressor, paint gun, the proper paint, the proper clear coat - it's a nightmare coloing blanks.

Date: March 19, 2009 08:38PM

Russ, that blank is made with the Super Seeker composite contstuction, SGlass and Graphite. It is 6', and weighs 5.4oz, and I had it on the rail with all that weight. Realistically, it is rated for 25#'s of drag, adn it is designed for North East Style jigging. I had it in High Point, several of the GRouper builders from NC & Florida who pulled on teh blankthought it was perfect. Several wanted it at 7', which is being worked on.

i'mnot knocking Jim, what he said is true if you have everythign needed to paint. If not, it's tough to do it right.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 03:28AM

The Lamiglas NZ 90 2XH may fit your needs. Lamiglas does offer a translucent blue for graphite for an additional charge of $15 to $20.

Here's the link:

[www.lamiglas.com]

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2009 02:01PM

Billy, thats a heck of a blank. Not breaking at 65# of dead weight is a huge testament to the durability and construction of that particular blank. I WILL be looking at them as another option for my grouper guys.

Posted by: Ed Hollingsworth (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2009 02:41PM

Will the painting of a blank change the action, or the weight of the blank? T.........Thanks Ed

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2009 02:51PM

It will not change the action, the blank will initially flex in the same location as before.

It will affect the speed, or reaction and recovery, of the blank due to addition of weight.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 20, 2009 05:31PM

Billy, I knew you would have the answer! As for painting blanks I'm going to have to come to NY and show you how! LOL. runs and sags...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster