I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Perma Gloss to UK
Posted by: david williams1 (---.swgfl.ifl.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 06:35AM

Hi All! Does anyone know a US supplier who would send me a pot of perma gloss to the UK without charging me an arm and a leg in postage? So often the postage bears so little resemblance to the actual postage that it's unreal! I hade two suppliers offer to send me a couple of reel inserts. One wanted $7 postage and the other $35!!!!! I don't mind a reasonable charge - just don't want to get ripped off!
cheers
DW

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss to UK
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 09:21AM

Per the Trondak site there is a dealer in the UK.

Date: March 19, 2009 09:51AM

The uk dealer doesn't stock the perma gloss - but thanks for help!
cheers
dw

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2009 10:13AM

It's a product that is costly to ship due to the solvent involved. It can't go by air mail, even here domestically.

Nobody is making money on shipping charges. The prices you quote above may have been through different carriers (or contained 4 rod blanks, remember?) and anytime you start compiling shipments overseas things can get steep. Plus, shipping charges entail more than just freight and/or postage. There's time involved, particularly on overseas shipments.

Date: March 19, 2009 11:11AM

Tom I wish that were true. The reel seats were just the wood inserts. No Blanks - just the inserts. A guy eventually sent me four in a Jiffy bag and it cost me just over $7 postage. The other price was for the same quantity of inserts but with a different supplier - maybe he was just trying to put me off with a high postage quote. As to the perma gloss - I'd forgotten about its classification as flamable, so I can understand high charges for that - and I take your point about documentation - it's a pain whichever side of the pond you're on. However I appreciate your comments - thanks for the info!
best wishes,
David

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 11:31AM

Permagloss has to come over on the boat mate. ;)
Order now and you should have it by Christmas. LOL

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: March 19, 2009 01:41PM

David, Email me directly Thanks Scott Parsons scott@scottscustomrods.com

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 19, 2009 04:24PM

David
Medium ranked Flamables like permagloss CAN be transported by airmail !!!!
the limiting issue is quantity................. supposedly , the small bottle is legal .................larger ones are not.
A jiffy bag with a small bottle is viable .
Been there done that.
I have run into this problem a number of times when sourcing airbrushing paints not stocked in OZ.
Moisture curing pre-promoted Polyurethane is in a different flammability class to products containing thinners.

Date: March 19, 2009 04:34PM

The folks at PermaGloss have been trying for years to figure out how to ship it overseas by cost effective means, but haven't come up with a solution. The product is highly flammable. It contains a healthy dose of Xylene.

Date: March 20, 2009 02:10AM

After going thru all that, My understanding is that the small bottle size can & is being shipped by airmail.

No names...... no pack drill ................ I had no trouble getting a small bottle by airmail in a jiffybag ex US to OZ

For a manufacturer to ship commercial quantities by air , no doubt anything more than a couple of Ounces will be illegal.

Hopefully David has been able to sort out a supply

Date: March 20, 2009 08:43AM

Whoever did that for you broke the law. If they're caught, the penalties can be serious.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (220.255.7.---)
Date: March 20, 2009 09:18AM

If there is no change to the IATA DGR regulations, the small bottle of perma gloss, could be considered as limited quantity of flammable (class 3) cargo, could be transported by air.. but of course, i am not too sure about the regulations in the states as i think it's more stringent..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: BINGHAM ENTERPRISES (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2009 10:59AM

I have made the mistake of sending some overseas and it was confiscated at customs and I received notification and was told not to send it unless I filled out hazardous materials forms and even then legally it cannot sent by air because of its flamability.

Karen
Bingham Enterprises.

Date: March 20, 2009 09:23PM

My continuing information is that the issue is quantity limited and the small bottle is OK.
I repeatedly receive by airmail single 1 Oz bottles of special airbrush paints from different sources ...................its expensive in small quantities and the freight cost per bottle is ridiculous , but its doable when there are no alternative local sources.
Much cheaper to do in larger bottles, but it just cannot be done .....................ditto multiple small bottles in the one package.

Karen
Can you advise what size bottle you shipped & received the rejection for............... this might be instructive.

Remember, IATA Regs allow limited quantities of other quite flammable products
ie
bottles of ladies perfume, mens cologne , aftershave etc ................ they are more flammable than permagloss..............and are high solvent content with very low flashpoint.

Good grief, just about every businessman on the flights I go on has a couple of stubby highlighter pens with high Xylene content, to edit their paperwork during the flight & they are out in the open in the cabin.
Commonsense need is the basis of the quantity rules & the risk management of the threat they pose..............ditto butane cigarette lighters

The issue is quantity................. there is at least some commonsense in the IATA regs in this.

Of course there is always present the issue of interpretation of the regs by the individual inspection personnel & you simply cannot argue with their personal interpretation.............they are stone walls........... that decision on that day & that situation is immutable.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: March 20, 2009 10:07PM

larger quantities of flammable product would have to be packed in accordance to the DGR regulations, in proper UN bottles and carton boxes with the necessary declarations (DGR cert).. shipping multiple bottles of permagloss in a single carton is not allowed as the limited quantities exception is based on per package basis.

as mentioned earlier, I am not sure if there is any change to the regulation for limited quantity cargo as i dont have the current book on hand... and of course, there are individual operator and state variations which takes higher precedence over the DGR regulation

but based on the outdated book i have, (as i do not know the actual UN number of have access to the MSDS) , I am assuming Xylene is the main reason for the commodity being DGR..

UN1307, limited quantity is 1 L for packing group II , packing instruction Y305, and each bottle cannot be more than 0.5litres, and it must be packed in a solid plastic box as a particular packing requirement.

ps: sorry .. occupational hazard..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: March 20, 2009 11:59PM

Chris T
Appreciate your detailed info...............it might be useful for others to do their homework on the current Regs .
In doing what I have done I had a freight agent here in Oz track down all the rules for me to make sure I was not asking the suppliers to breach the rules in shipping to me.
As one of the pioneer exporters of sashimi grade tuna from Oz to both the US & Japan I had to do the homework on all of the relevant rules on the packaging required ( not easy when it was not a routine shipment type at the time) . The freight agent who set that up for me & kept me updated on changes to the Regs , provided me with the advice on small quantity shipments of potential flammables.
I acted on his expert advice & have not had a single problem & a few of those shipments were opened for customs inspection as they contained the appropriate notification they had been opened for customs inspected on delivery, my end.

My advice( received ) was that 4 -8 oz bottles were not legal in a jiffy bag or postpak.................... but 1 - 3oz were OK so long as they were the only single item ,low flashpoint material in the package

Obviously , the shipper undertaking this, needs to get their own expert freight advice, you get what you pay for when advice is required ,& you believe who you want to believe, when free advice is being handed out.

Posted by: david williams1 (---.dsl.fireflyinternet.com)
Date: March 21, 2009 07:17AM

I'm glad I asked the question now! It seemed such a simple issue at the time. Thanks to all of you who have spent time giving such considered answers. I emailed U40, and they advised that :
"It is considered a “hazardous” substance with regards to shipping in large containers." This obviously raises the question as to what is 'large'.
To look at the issue logically, one would conclude that in quantities as small as 2 oz or less, then the potential for hazard would be extremely small. Marker pens and Board markers contain highly flammable constituents but in very small quantities. Many nuts, such as Brazil nuts contain a combustible oil.
It is interesting from the viewpoint of someone coming from the UK, that there are very different attitiudes with regard to beaurocracy and legalese between Americans and Europeans. When I'm asked for a driving licence in the US and I show my UK licence which has no photograph, many Americans almost disblelieve that it can be genuine. When you buy a fishing licenece in the UK you provide your name and address. In many states you have to provide every conceivable detail, hair colour, eye colour and so on. This isn't a criticism, merely an observation.
I guess in Britain, the atttitude would be 'send the perma gloss and see'. Having said the perhaps we don't have the same penalties over here.
best wishes,
David

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 07:27AM

David
FORGET IT
I tried in 2007 paid 20 dollers postage got package marked as FISHING ROD BUILDING SUPPLIES and got a NASTY letter from customs saying that I can`t import flamable or explosive liquids from the states and after a few phone calls was told quite rudely that it had been destroyed
Somthing to do with the 9/11 thing
( like i can really blow up a building with a bottle of premagloss)

Posted by: david williams1 (---.dsl.fireflyinternet.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 07:39AM

Thanks Allen, I'll have to take your advice!! You'd end up with the nickname 'the permabomber!' You wouldn't damage much, but the buildings would have a lovely gloss finish!!

Posted by: BINGHAM ENTERPRISES (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 10:35AM

Denis in answer to your question there were 2 bottles of the 1oz. permagloss in the package-

Karen
Bingham Enterprises

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster