I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bonefish/ Flats Blanks
Posted by: Dennis Dixon (97.103.25.---)
Date: March 18, 2009 05:37PM

I am looking to build a rod to use while wade fishing for bonefish and other flats species. Most of my current spinning rods are built on 7' fast or ultrafast blanks and don't seem to be working for me. I need something cabable of throwing small lures (small grubs on 1/8 oz jig head, or unweighted plastics) far distances. I was thinking about a "salmon/steelhead" blank as these blanks tend to be a little longer and have a slightly slower action. I have never used one, and don't know how they are intended to be used (casting style, distance...). DO you think these might work, or can you recommend something else that might fit my needs>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bonefish/ Flats Blanks
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 06:32PM

A 1/8 oz. jig head will only go so far before gravity takes over. I don't think a longer rod will help you much.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2009 06:49PM

They'll likely work for you, but I'm not sure I wouldn't try a Hot Shot type blank with extra fast tip suited for that lure weight. Couple it with braid and you may have what you want.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 07:00PM

Rod Blank Model # Rainshadow HS9000 salt water Spin
Butt cap: EVABC20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: SG155A-300 AND SG300A-300 NEW Batson SPLIT GRIP
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GSTG17C-TC textured spin size 17 threads down
Reel Seat Shim SHIM/17/SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250 2.5 cork fore grip
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPPZT06R04.5
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06 RRD SS316 STAINLESS WITH TICH PLATE AND ZIRCONIUM RING
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG07
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG07
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG08
6th guide from tip top: XTCVSZG10 SS316 VS TRANSITION GUIDE
7th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG16 SS316 VS3
8th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG25
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.25-14.25-20-26-33-42-54

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 09:09PM

To throw long distance try a specialty blank with moderate fast action and a strong back end. A blank primarily used to throw bass cranks is ideal. Take a look at the Castaway XP3, 964 or 965. The power of a bone run with shakes along the way needs a blank with some give to keep the fish hooked up.

Do a search on this board for "crankbait" and you will find a lot of information. Consider building a micro set up to be used with braid and I think you will be highly pleased. A micro set up on this blank can be done right at three ounces.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 09:41PM

HS9000 for sure. G Loomis is my personal preference, in the GL3 two-piece design. As noted, Batson offers their own version as well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 10:06PM

The Loomis HS 9000 is much better at what you want to do. I have the 3 piece GLX version I've used for bone fishing and many others species. As Jim said the GL3 one or two piece is worlds better. The Batson is a much faster, more powerful blank.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: March 18, 2009 10:49PM

Extend an IP840 or IP841 Batson RX7. I pretty much sue the same kind of gear for all round light tackle fishing. The 841 has a nice, tippy action and good transition into a powerful butt section. I trimmed mine to 6'6" from the butt, but at 7 ft it is a lot of rod. Take her to say 7'6" and the flats will not be safe.

If you are only doing bonefish work then the 840 will certainly get your heart in your throat for full on light gear action. Bends a bit more into the middle, with good cushioning for light line, but still great low down guts. Another good thing about these 2 blanks is their light weight and the small butt diameters. Deceptive little babies.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 08:57AM

There is no question that a longer rod will help you throw lighter lures farther than a shorter rod, assuming both are well matched to the lure size. I'm a little surprised that Karry didn't recommend a longer blank than 7-6. I would have thought he would recommend 8 '. I just finished a Rainshadow XST1084F, 9 foot, for throwing 1/4 oz lures for salmon, and it casts like a bullet. It may be a little heavy for casting all day with one hand, so I'm not recommending it for your application, just a data point.

Keep in mind that for bones you have to get there and multi piece rods have a definite advantage in travel. One piece 7-8' rods are not something I would want to travel with.

Also, as Tom mentioned, consider 10 # braid with a floro leader-it casts wonderfully on any rod-10# braid will cast like 4# mono, so should give you great distance without being very fragile. With braid you will want a blank with more "give." While braid casts very well, when a powerful fish hits, things happen very fast! NO STRETCH in the line.

I know Karry prefers progressive guide sizes, but I'm a real believer in the Fuji Concept, it's simple, yields very light tips, and casts great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster