I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

static test
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 01:56PM

I static tested a sc5 today and when i got it just about 90 degrees the line slightly touched the blank between the 2nd and 3rd guide. Do you guys think this will be alright or should i change it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: static test
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2009 02:10PM

Slightly touching the blank under full load isn't major cause for concern.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.125.62.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 02:13PM

Should not touch. IMHO You may have blank failuer in between them I would adjust them.
Her is the article: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 02:18PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2009 02:21PM

Unless the guides are much too far apart (the line would do more than touch the rod - it might even pass below it if this were the case) then this isn't likely to be a problem.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 03:05PM

The line on all my rods "slightly" touches the blank between all guides. I have yet to have a blank failure as a result.

Another point to consider... how often is a blank truly fully loaded in real world fishing conditions. May depend on the type of fishing you are doing.

What type of guides?

Here are some posts where it's been discussed:

[rodbuilding.org]
[rodbuilding.org]
[rodbuilding.org]
[rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 03:06PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 03:35PM

I would still adjust them How much Work is it ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 03:37PM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 18, 2009 04:52PM

To me it isn't the amount of work but the impact on blank performance related to the weight of additional unneeded guides, wraps, and finish - which all impact performance. I feel a lot depends on the technique, application, type of guides, etc.

As with most parts of rodbuilding, there is a trade off that you have to weigh between performance,characteristics, priority, etc. It's a balancing act. I haven't seen any proof where a line slightly touching a blank means bad performance by my gauge of performance (long casts, lightest weight, maximum sensitivity). But I can look on a scale and see the impact of adding or reducing the number of guides has on my builds.

So I ask myself... is adding one more guide really needed when I have no proof that a slight touch of the blank between two guides has not shown detriment to the rod? (Keep in mind I am a minimalist and then break my own rules by adding things back - usually per client request!)

Another thing to consider, have you tried moving up the stripper guide and then the guides above to get that 1 - 3mm movement it would take to get the line completely off the blank if that is important? How about moving the 1st guide from the tip that little bit to get that line up a little?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.86.185.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 11:47PM

An SC 5 ain' t cheap.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 19, 2009 10:19AM

No they aren't! But why buy a high end rod (like an SCV) then put on extra guides and diminish the performance? If durability is the concern, go lower grade blank or spiral wrap. With a spiral, the line slightly touching the blank should pretty much become a moot point.

If I'm sinking the money into a SCV, I'm buying it for maximum performance - so I'm putting only the minimum on it so I have increased sensitivity, reduced weight, and as close to natural action of the blank as possible so the blank can do what it was designed to do. To me saying use extra guides is like saying I bought a Ferrari and I'm only going to drive it slow so I don't crash it. First thing I'm going to do is drop the hammer and see what it will do.

It comes back to why are you building the rod and what are you trying to achieve.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: March 19, 2009 01:08PM

I'm with Alex on this one. Build it for the best performance you can get out of it. To me, that would be a spiral wrap to completely eliminate the line touching the blank and build it as light as possible, like split grip no fore grip and an blank exposed seat, or even a two pipece reel seat. There is no sense getting a blank like an SCV and weighting it down with excess guides, epoxy, and handle material...

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 07:50PM

Could just use Ugly Sticks-The World's Strongest, Most Sensitive Rods-if you're worried about it breaking

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: March 19, 2009 08:43PM

Chris,

LOL!

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster