I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which gives better results ? thread finish
Posted by: Eric Burkhart (216.174.22.---)
Date: March 18, 2009 10:02AM

On my first build got the standard flex coat Hy-build. Results were good but seem a little uneven in places. Is the Lite formula easier to work with ? I did 2 coats (I don't see how a rookie can get good final results with just one coat )
I know everyone has opinions ( that's what I'm looking for.)
Thanks for all your help this board has been a tremondous learning tool.
Eric
ps. getting ready to build 2nd fly rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which gives better results ? thread finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2009 10:31AM

They're all good and they all give similar results. But each has its own particular characteristics. What appeals to one builder may not appeal to the next one.

I have always preferred the highest build epoxy I can get. That's because it's a "do-all" finish. You can apply it thickly or thinly. And get the job done in 1 application.

The lighter build formulas can't be applied thickly in 1 application. It generally takes 2 or even 3 applications to get the job done. But some prefer to do it that way and get great results.

I will add that the biggest problem beginners have is that they spend too much time messing with their finish. They try to make it do things that it's happy to do on its own if you'll just leave it alone. The Volume 9 #1 issue of RodMaker has an article that won rave reviews from 2 epoxy companies. One told me that when guys call them to ask about application they just refer them to the article in that magazine. It will solve 90% of anyone's finishing problems.

The main thing is that you apply your epoxy quickly and move on. Don't waste time trying to get a perfect finish on each guide - the epoxy will do that if you just apply it and then leave it alone. Take 30 seconds to coat that guide wrap and then move on to the next. Get the wraps coated quickly while the epoxy is still very liquid. You can come back afterwards and touch in any dry areas or thin spots. The main thing is to move along quickly.

And, while I prefer to do things in a single coat or application, many beginners do better with 2 or more thinner coats.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.78.---)
Date: March 18, 2009 01:04PM

What Tom said. I use the light build myself, and put on 2 and sometimes three very thin coats to get my desired results. Time is never an issue for me. If it takes a third coat to get my desired results, so be it. I think the key is that you find what brand and type of epoxy you are comfortable with and stick with it. Once you find the technique ( mixing time, temp, quantities etc.) that gives you the best results, stay with it.

Harold

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 11:03PM

Personally I still use a high build finish. The reason I use high build is that it can be applied lighter or heavier to my preference. I have tried light build finishes and cannot get them to work for ME. It's my error and I know it, but I dont feel like figuring it out, so I stay with what I know.

My first coat is a wetting coat. By this I mean I apply the finish only thick enough to wet out the wrap and thats it. The 2nd coat gives it its depth, gloss, and that "pretty" factor.

Some are successful with a single coat, I choose 2 as I have always done it this way, and I can get it perfect every time.

Best advice I have ever heard was (and its right above my post), buy one brand of finish in either light OR high build and learn how to use it and stick with it. After and ONLY after you figure that one out and how to get good results every time, should you venture out and try others.

They all do what they were designed to, but each has its own little quirks and mastery involved.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 11:30PM

I like the low build/thinner finish's. I like the penetration, length of workable time, flatter smoother easier workability, and the greater bubble release that these style finish's give over the thicker versions. Multiple coats with a really thin finish just produces much better looking results with less finish used for me.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster