I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shopsmith
Posted by: Travis Whitacre (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 11:56PM

Looking at different options for a lathe to turn cork. Have an opportunity to buy a used Shopsmith for pretty cheap. It is an older model--I believe a 10ER. It is a cool machine and always get a kick out of working with vintage tools. But, that doesn't tell me if it will turn cork worth its salt. Anyone used a Shopsmith? Any limitations to using it for cork?

My other alternative is to probably buy a PSI. It would be new and slightly more expensive--just not quite as exciting as an old machine that is still in good working order. I know the setups for the PSI - just would like to think I could make the Shopsmith work without too much modification.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I am new to the game so don't really know what the buying points are other than a lathe with no wobble and preferably VS. I know I will want a 4 jaw chuck and probably a 1/2" drill chuck.

Travis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shopsmith
Date: March 17, 2009 12:47AM

Ok. Think cooler heads have prevailed. I am going to pass on the antique and go with something new that I can get parts for. It would be fun to take on a restoration project but one new addiction, err, I mean hobby is enough for right now!!! Still would welcome any suggestions as to a good starter lathe in the <$250 range.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 05:36AM

I just ordered a Pioneer from Acid Rod. You might want to check them out. They have a package deal for getting started.
Steve

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:43AM

Or, you might check this out. They were at High Point and I just pulled the trigger on it with all the bells and whistles. Its sitting in my garage now and waiting to be set up in my basement!!!

[www.woodworkingshop.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2009 08:32AM

The Shopsmiths were very good machines. It takes time to set up for each new operation since it's several machines in one. But again, they were good machines. It would easily turn any type of cork grip you would ever want, but it might be overkill if that's all you're going to do with it.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 17, 2009 09:41AM

Travis ....... shopsmith and cheap are 2 words you usually don't see together ........... they are very well built and do a ton of stuff ......... I'd go with the shopsmith if you have the space etc ......... where is it ...... if you don't want it I'm interested

Posted by: Matt Kamer (174.6.105.---)
Date: March 17, 2009 10:53AM

Good lathe for a decent price....delta midi. 250-300 brand new with warranty, turn anything from cork to 14" bowls. Also has extension ($70) so you can turn stock up to 36" or 41"(can't remember exact length)

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 10:58AM

A shopsmith can be set up as a lathe and left that way if you want.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 02:33PM

I use a drill press to turn my cork. I put the cork on a length of threaded rod and clamp it between two thumb screws with washers directly against the cork. I then chuck one end of the threaded rod in the drill press and run the other end into a piece of wood that has a hole just big enough to accept the threaded rod. This piece of wood is clamped to the drill press's table and supports the rod while the cork is being worked.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 02:55PM

John,
That is the exact same setup I used until I got an actual real lathe last month...worked for me for years.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: March 17, 2009 04:44PM

The Rikon lathe is a great piece for the money.

Date: March 17, 2009 11:40PM

I have a call into the guy about the Shopsmith. For the price, it is worth the try it sounds like--it is old and used but in 'good' condition and price is less than the PSI lathes so we'll see--my luck I am too late to the dance though. I also may try the idea to use a drill press--I already have one of those! Really appreciate all the feedback. You all are the best! Happy St. Patricks Day!

Date: March 18, 2009 12:06AM

By the way, thanks for the referral to Acid Rod. Looks like a heck of a deal on the Pioneer. Let me know how you like it, Steve!

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 12:40AM

I turn my cork on a drill press as well. I will usually chuck up the appropriate sized drill bit snugly fit into the cork. I'll use a little tape to arbor up anything larger that 1/2 ". My grips are short so that works well and I'm usually just reshaping premade cork or EVA grips. I have thought about using a flange bearing in the spot that John uses a piece of wood to run the other end of my "mandrel" through. It would be nice to work on a grip that is horizontal and not vertical-have thought about turning it on its side and constructing some sort of support for it. I think about doing lots of stuff. I need to get a round tuit.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 05:09AM

My Pioneer lathe was delivered by semi truck last evening. I set it up so I could run it and make sure everything works and it seems ok. Its nice and quiet and the variable speed worked well. I still need to build a bench to mount it on and receive some lessons from a friend before I really get into using it. I am new to rodbuilding and now turning. The few grips I turned were from a drill press and my grips never turned out perfectly round. They were conical or flat on one side. I am not sure what was going on, but I said to heck with it and opted for a lathe. Good luck with the Shopsmith if you are still able to get it. I have dreamed of owning one for years.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster