I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Orange rod blank
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:18PM

Anyone know of someone that has fairly high end orange color rod blanks, I know CTS has one but only in 2pc.

Anyone ever painted one orange? what did you use?

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orange rod blank
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:47PM

DR,

I paint them all the time!! Prime with a coat of Adhesion promoter (can be had from your local auto parts store), then paint with a quality auto paint, then clear coat with an auto clearcoat.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:52PM

I recently painted my Lamiglas XMG orange with testors fiery orange paint. Its very metallic, and is almost towards copper color. Looks great and finished with duplicolor clear. I guess I was in the same boat as you, couldn't find the color I wanted. I used an adhesion promoter before the paint. Seems durable so far, but this is the first time I've painted a blank. I hope it holds up, because it looks awesome. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Gone Fishin

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:04PM

I have a one piece CTS blank in orange (actually they call it Tangerine), but it’s the same color.

EF704
Elite Spin F 7'0" 8-14 lb 3/16-1/2

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:16PM

What are you doing, coloring your rods to look klike a Carrot Stix LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:55PM

Go VOLS

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 11:36PM

When I get my perfect coat of prestine gloss white off my originally grey CTS, by using Permagloss and Testors white pigment, I'll let you know how it works with orange....having a tough time getting the thin white coating of the blank though.

MJ

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 12:08AM

Good question. I'm thinking of the EXACT same question except I'm hoping to use Permaglass with pigment over a blank already painted with polyurethane.

So DR, you can just paint any blank you like with orange to match those orange Pixys....:)

Does anyone know if I have to sand off the polyurethane or can I just go over the original shiny finish with Permagloss (urethane...)

Mo

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 07:18AM

Mo-
I'd have a hard time going over anything that's shiny-goes against conventional wisdom. PGloss is a different animal, though-it may be fine. I don't see how you could go wrong wet sanding with some 1500-2000 to knock shine off to give it something to grab to. PGloss is pretty hot stuff-it has detrimental effects to many existing finishes. If it has been there for a long time it may be OK. May want to test in an inconspicuous spot.

Chris

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 08:56AM

Steve,

Hang onto that for me!

William, are you mixing your own paints or buying spray cans?

Carrot.......that was funny right there :-)

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 09:07AM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 12:42PM

Creatxex Auto Air #5119 ORANGE. Comes out looking like a new car right off the showroom floor.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 12:50PM

Oops! Its St. Pats Day ,should be Green. Now where did I put that church key!
Happy times to all.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:30PM

DR,

I use aerosol cans, bought at the local auto parts stores { AutoZone, Advance etc. }. I have used Createx and Testiors spray paints also with good results. The most important thing is to prime with adhesion promoter (spay can at above mentioned parts stores). This is what's used to paint plastic / rubber bumper parts. It makes the paint more flexible so it won't crack and peel.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:45PM

On the blanks I've painted myself or had painted, the best paint has been Fusion by Krylon. I've done 10 or so myself and had another 10 or so professionally done. They've all been painted with a primer or adhesion promotor and then a final coat of either Fusion, BASF or Duplicolor auto paint and then 2-3 layers of clear. They've all looked great, but have chipped. The Fusion doesn't look as good as the auto metallics, but it has proven more durable.

I've got a Hummer bright green metallic that would look very good with my silver Pixy :).

I'll probably try a few myself with Perm Gloss and see how they turn out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster