I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27X and Micros - choke using Micro....or larger...?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:00PM

Simple question. For anyone here who uses the 27X spacing and micro guides (size 3.5 Batson or 4.0 Fuji or smaller) do you use the micro guide at the 27X choke point, or do you use a larger guide like a size 5 or 6?

I ask as I have only 2 larger guides between the reel and choke point and it just seem like a rather sudden drop.

Curious if there's any concensus. (Probably not....:)

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27X and Micros - choke using Micro....or larger...?
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:16PM

Mo-
I may get corrected-but your choke guide is your 1st running guide-so it and the others to the tip should be the same size. 4s or 3.5s should work as long as you don't have knots too large to pass. Test everything as always!

Chris

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 07:58AM

Mo;
This may or may not answer your question. On the rods I have done were I've used 2.5mm and smaller micro’s I’ve found it necessary to use a 3.5 for casting distance.
So I would say based on that the 3.5mm should work fine.
But it would not hurt to try a size larger to see if it has an effect or not.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:42AM

Right, the first running guide is the choker guide.

Always use the smallest and lightest guides that will still pass your line and any required connections.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:34AM

I confess, and I would be curious to hear Tom's thought on this, that I often use a size 5 as the first running guide, even thought the rest of the running guides are 4s. The 4 just seems so small and I fear that any remaining coiling of the line will result in friction. I don't do this on my "teeny braid" rods but I do on those that might use 6lb mono. On a different note, with UL rods that will not use more than a soft 4lb mono or 1lb diameter braid, I often pull the butt guide way back - like under 17 inches - and make my choke guide less than 27x because I figure the line is so supple that I can choke it down very quickly and keep heavy guides way back on the rod with micro guides along most of it's length. If a Zebco cast 6lb mono so well, I figure I can choke it down pretty quickly.

Mo, do you ever do that with really light line?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:53AM

I doubt the line will notice any difference between a 4 and a 5. If it hasn't lost its coils by then, well...

I'd go ahead and swap the 5 for a 4.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:57AM

I'll apply TK's recommendation to my next build!

To Mo's question about abrupt step down, I never use more than 2 guides to make the transiton on my freshwater rods, but I build lighter freshwater rods. If I ever step past 1/2 ounce for so on lures then I go to baitcasting.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 04:41PM

Marty,

No, I've not run the choker as short as yours - 17 inches. But I'll note this. If you use BRAID which is very soft and supple, even Fireline after it's been used a while, you could probably choke down even less. Braid basically doesn't seem to be much sensitive to guide position per my tests. However with mono that's stiffer, then I think the distances of guides really do matter. But does 2lb mono really matter? I've not actually tested it with different guide configuration but I think it does especially as some of the guys I know use 1/32 oz lures. Even a tiny bit of drag reduces casting distance. I'm a big one for max casting distance area covered is the SQUARED of distance cast.

Thanks to everyone else for commenting. Steve, your comment on 2.5 and 3.5 in the past was one reason why i asked. Tom, the knots are no problem with UL lines even with size 2.5, but Steve's observation made me wonder if a larger choker would be in order.

Keep the comment coming.....:)

Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.86.17.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 07:51PM

You should be able to look though the butt guide too the choker and the rings should all be centered. Like a Bulls Eye.Adjust as need and test cast.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster