I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Power Wrapper
Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 10:02PM

A buddy of mine Don and I just completed my Power Wrapper. It was a couple year project we made the base and kind of lost interest. I got the itch back 3 or 4 months ago and made my first rod. After a couple year layoff we started manufacturing the rod wrapper and finally finished. Now I need the time to Build a shed gut my garage and make a new work bench dedicated for rod wrapping. Not sure how long that will take. Most of the parts that we made we doubled so he will have one. He does not have the time to get involved with rod wrapping but when he does he can be up and running pretty quick. I posted some photos. This site is great lots of information. Thanks to all of you that post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 11:03PM by Ron Fletcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Power Wrapper
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:19PM

Mighty handsome wrapper. Appears to be extremely sturdy.

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:23PM

i dont see anything?

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:36PM

Nice job Ron, I am in the process of doing the same thing myself.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:18AM

Ron,
A couple of comments.
1. Super job. Wonderful machining.
2. I liked your ides of using two tapered pieces of bar stock for the base. I assume that you simply used machine screws that were countersunk to attach the cross braces to the long base sides?
3. I liked what you did with the Taig Chuck. It is a little difficult to tell what you did with the chuck jaws. Did you machine out the jaws to a round shape only. Or did you machine the jaw out to a round shape and then attach clear plastic faces to the jaws?
4. The quality of your machining on the rod steady rests is very very good. I like the design. I assume that you machined all of the parts, including the 0 ring pulleys?
5. Pictures are decieving, but how long is the overall length of the wrapper? The one picture makes it appear that it is very long. I am guessing about 10 feet?

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:40AM

Ridge,
Go to the Photo Page

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 05:29AM

I agree with Roger Very Nice!!

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.NSW.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 16, 2009 07:56AM

Awesome

Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:43AM

Thanks for the comments. Like I said before this site is great has TONS of information that helped me decide how to manufacture the unit.

Roger,
I had a bunch of 1 ¼” x ½” and 1 ¼” x 3/16” alum. around the house. So we made most of it with the stock we had on hand. We drilled tapped & countersunk 10 -32 socket head bolts for the cross braces.

On the Taig Chuck I machined the jaws out to the largest diameter than I used cabinet door rubber stops for soft jaws. I will have to see how that works. I still need to debur the chuck. I can always turn the jaws around for smaller pieces.

All of the parts were machined including the rollers. We installed ¼” x1/2”x 3/16” bearings in the rollers.

The base is two 4’ 6” sections that hook together with a 3/16” plate and two ¼” screws. The whole assembly can be taken down in a couple of minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2009 09:06AM by Ron Fletcher.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 05:08PM

That is awesome, Nice job. got me thinking now!!

Posted by: jim ellis (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:04PM

How did you make the stands? where did you get the rollers? Can you e-mail me?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:24PM

Ron,
Thanks for the update on the chuck jaw machining.
I thought that that was what you did. A good idea to machine them out round to give a larger gripping surface with no sharp edges or points to sink into the handle.
I have tried both rubber and vinyl faces on the aluminum jaws and was less tha pleased.
I finally switched over to 1/16th inch cork tape. Easy to use, simply peel off a piece, stick on and use a razor blade to trim to size.
For the last couple of years the cork facings on the jaws have worked very well. No handle damage, and no working of the handle out of the chuck.

The only change at some time in the future if you would like - and that would be to switch over your ac sewing machine motor to a dc gear motor.
Although the ac sewing machine motor works fine, it does not have reverse direction. Thus, doing corrections and having to back up the rod is a bit more difficult by hand.
If you ever decide to make such a switch, drop me an e-mail at hflier@comcast.net and I can give you some direction.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster