I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another EVA accent rin g question
Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 07:01PM

Hello All

Sorry if my questions seem rather clumsy, but I assmebled my rear ad foregrip wth four accent rings and did a dry fit test and its pretty tight even getting any where near
the butt section of the blank.. Im putting this on a gator blank, I have tried to bore out as much eva from the grips but its still a very tight fit. what recommendations do you have
to make the grips slide easier. I know the epoxy glue will act as a lubricant, but at after a certain point I know it will not allow the grip to slide easy down the blank. Would placing the grip in boiling water help with it stretching and will the hot water cause the contact cement to come loose on the grips? Any and all help is truly appreciated.

Thank YOu
Fernando Torres
NERB in the making

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another EVA accent rin g question
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 09:38PM

Fernando; If the ID of the grip is about 1/4 inch smaller than the OD of the butt of the blank it will slide in place easily with a good coat of Rod Bond. Measure them and see what the difference is. I can put a 3/4 inch ID grip on a 1 inch OD blank easily.

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 05:30AM

Fernando forget the boiling water or any of the so called ideas you may hear about getting the grip on easier. There are two things you can do to make the grip slide on the rod without too much trouble. One is to ream out the grip and the other is to use a good epoxy that can lubricate the the grip. ( I use and prefer Kardol). You have seen all my grips and the most important thing with inlays is that you don't stretch the grip where the picture is stretched out of shape. This requires a good reaming and the lubricating the blank with the epoxy and making sure the inside of the grip is fully covered with it. Put your thumb and forefinger on the top of the grip when sliding it down to cut off the air and you wont have any trouble getting it on. Also another tip is to cover the bottom and top of the grip with masking tape so as to avoid the epoxy from backing up when sliding the grip down. Good luck and tell me about it when I see you next.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:58AM

Installation instructions for easily getting EVA into place can be found on the FAQs page.

Bernie pretty much covered it.

EVA can be stretched a long, long way with this method. However, as Bernie noted, if you have inlays or trim rings in the grip it's better to ream it to a close fit and not attempt to stretch it too much.

Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 07:03PM

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone for the info, Bernie I only had a few accent rings on the grips not the inlays, i''m working on that next...Thanks Tom for the heads up, I will take the advice given
and see what happens. I may have to ream out the grip some more to get a smoother fit.

Bernie hope to see you soon at one of the next NERB gatherings.

Fernando Torres
NERB in the Making

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster