I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NPS reel seat
Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 02:38PM

Never used a Fuji NPS reel seat before. Does the thread end of the reel seat face the tip or butt? Does it matter? I see it both ways in the photo section. Any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NPS reel seat
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 03:00PM

I prefer the ergonomics of the threads pointing toward the tip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2009 03:08PM

Try it both ways and see which one feels the best to you.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 03:34PM

Dependson you. I prefer teh threads to the bottom unless I use a KDPS seat. I always cut this seat very short as I like how it sits in my hand better. The only right answer is what feels best to you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 03:53PM

John,
I have done it both ways but find that for my hands, the larger size of the threads help to fill my hand better.
Thus, I typically mount the seat with the threads pointing toward the butt of the rod.

If a person has smaller hands, one might like it the other way.

Roger

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 03:54PM

What they said, plus to dovetail on it a little, mount the reel in the seat both ways and hold it as you normally do. I fish with the reel "stem" between my index finger and middle finger, so I prefer the threads to the front because my fingers don't contact them. I've told that to a number of customers at the counter assuming that everyone holds the reels like I do, come to find out that some hold their hand forward two fingers further than I do, so to them, the seat feels better with the threads to the rear.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 03:55PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 14, 2009 03:57PM

I love the NPS seat. I mount them down locking. And I also cut 3/4 in off the barrel end . I agree with Billy, I think it feels better in teh hand. I also shorten the threads just enough to clear the reel foot. Try things until you get what you like. That's what makes it a custom fit.
Here is one cut down.[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 04:25PM

I want to thank everyone for the quick replies. Just what I needed to know to proceed with my build.

Date: March 14, 2009 05:28PM

I didnt' like how this one felt at all, but my friend who I did it for loved it: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I didn't like this one eitehr, btu at least I tried. DAmmit!! $6 down the tubes: [www.rodbuilding.org]

This one was almost perfect: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I've since made another one where I trimmed the back of teh seat, and it sat in my hand much better. I also liked the size 20 NPS, and loved how I was able to use a KDPS 20 which wasn't available in teh US at that time. Double unique.

For Inshore SW guys who don't use a trigger seat - there is no better seat than the NPS for conventional reels. Cut it nice and short, you don't even know it's there.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 12:30AM

Bill,
I also agree with the look of your last seat.
When making split seats, I like the handle to slope up, rather than down as many folks make.
With the seat sloping up toward the butt, the handle tends to contain the palm on the seat. Very comfortable.
Nice work.
Roger

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: March 15, 2009 05:10AM

Where can you get the KDPS 20? I have a NPS 20 size seat i want to use on my next rod, and would love to top it off with the KDPS.

Date: March 15, 2009 09:59AM

CAll Bob at Custom Tackle Supply. If he doesn't have them, go to Matagi.

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:20AM

what does a KDPS look like?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:33PM

Looks like the pictures I posted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster