I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan locking wrap (s)
Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 09:53AM

I have never tried the Forhan locking wrap, but I will on my next rod, hence my question.

Is the quide easily straightend when wrapping is complete? It looks to me like it would keep the quide from moving.

Thanks

Roy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan locking wrap (s)
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.37.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 10:13AM

It does keep it from moving. What I have done in the past is get it as close as possible at first when you tape them to the blank. Then before you put in your tie of loop get it dead on then do the Forhan's tie it off and check it. it may need just a little bit of wiggling that you can do. I just don't think it is going to work if you are trying to move it a quarter turn.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 10:18AM

I have no problem aligning my guides after they are Forhan Locking wrapped. I try to not have to move them more than 1/16th of a turn by aligning them good before wrapping.

Date: March 13, 2009 10:22AM

Thanks Ked...thats what I was looking for! I like the idea of an alignment check before the locking wrap.

Also... an alignment check when guide wrap is about 70% complete would also help.

I have a level attached to each rod I am building as an aid to guide alignment, so alignment checks while winding should do the trick.

thanks again.

Roy

Date: March 13, 2009 10:24AM

Thanks Andy..... you were positing while I was typing

Roy

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 09:50AM

You can move them after wrapping, but not as far. A little more care on alignment before wrapping is a good idea.

Terry

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 08:45PM

They will move a little - easily - but not a lot. If they won't move at all for you - lighten up a little when wrapping - they are worth the extra trouble for a lot of reasons - you'll have your own list - it's the one that matters most.

Date: March 15, 2009 08:52AM

Thanks all

I just finished wrapping my first set of guides with the Forhan locking wrap. I used masking tape to hold the guides in place and when my wraps got to the tape I removed the tape and re-aligned the guides.
After the all guides were complete with forhan locking wraps installed, they seemed to be well aligned and none required moving.

Thanks again for all you folks' help. And thank you Richard for sharing this wrap with us.

Roy

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:12PM

I recently removed some guides from a rod to switch to smaller guides. The original wraps were done with A size thread and no color preservative, just rod finish. It is hard to imagine that those guides would have been moved by anything short of a destructive force. They were there to stay, no Forhan locking wrap. While the wrap may be appropriate when you use CP, if you don't, it appears to me to be a waste of time. No disrespect intended for the advantage of the Forhan wrap, just a comment that it may be a lot more valuable if CP is used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster