I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guide wrapping problem
Posted by: brad baker (---.mcloudteleco.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 09:54PM

Hello all. Newbie builder here. Lots of good info on this forum. it's awesome!
My question is: How do I keep my thread from backing back down the guide foot while power wrapping? I have re-done each wrap several times with no success. I have tried different tensions,. This is what I got going on:
I have two under wraps. I preped my guide foot well. The first time I wrapped it clumoed up at the start of the foot. Next made it up the foot, but left slight gaps that would allow me to see the underwrap slightly. If I burnish the thread the metallic wears off. Every other time the thread starts to climb then backs off. or breaks. ( happens about 20 time each foot) So I thought re-do everything. Polished the feet as to not break the thread and make it eaiser to climb. Also put more CP on. I am ussing A metallic thread. Would thicker thread work better? None of this seems to help. As soon as I wrap the threads either leaves gaps or backsdown on themselves going up the foot. About ready to throw it out the window. Please help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide wrapping problem
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:12PM

Believe it or not, but this is something that is just going to take some time. Power wrapping requires practice and it will take many dozens and dozens of guides until you become proficient. There is a speed and thread angle that will work (provided you have indeed done a good job prepping the guide foot to the proper taper) and you'll find it after a hundred or so guide wraps under power.

Posted by: Matt Kamer (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:17PM

Have you filed down the guide feet? I find that if the thread won't climb up the guide it is because the guide foot is not tapered properly. A nice taper will provide a "slope" for the thread to climb, as opposed to the thread trying to jump up from the blank and onto the guide. When I file my guides I taper the foot and then file each side of the taper, kind of like a double edged knife.
I hope this makes sense and helps solve your wrapping problem!

Matt

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:30PM

Brad,
I'm not much for power wrappers myself, especially for guides. If you are just starting with a power wrapper that might be causing some of your trouble. If you have not done any wrapping by hand then I would recommend trying that to better learn the correct tension and thread angles that Tom mentioned. Take into consideration that many experienced hand wrappers have trouble switching to a power wrapper. Good Luck!

Steve

Posted by: Robert Russell (63.225.3.---)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:44PM

Brad,
You might try using non metallic thread to get comfortable with the power wrapper. It is much easier to use and much more forgiving. After your comfortable, you can try the metallics again.

Good luck,
Robert

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:06PM

It really sounds like you need to take another try at prepping the feet. The angle needs to be pretty shallow. If you have prepped for a thin foot and a good start, but left too much of an angle on the foot, then the thread will slump as you climb up. I suspect you have more trouble with the larger guides than the smaller ones.

If the thread doesn't climb right over the edge of the foot and keep going as you wrap, then the foot needs more prep. Also check your tension and try some different settings to see what works best for you. As Tom said, it just takes some practice.

It's my least favorite thing but I do much better with the small bench grinder I got from harbor freight. $40 for a 3 1/2" grinder and it sits on the end of my wrapping bench.

Keep us posted.

Terry

Posted by: brad baker (---.mcloudteleco.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:23PM

I will definately use all of your considerations. All are great and appreciated.
I too have a bench grinder. I am just afraid of taking too much material off the foot. (after 2 attempts it's getting a little thin). Maybe tomorrow I will take pics for you of the feet. I have not even made it to any of the small guides yet. Are the bigger guides typically the hardest to wrap? Because of the steeper slope? I had no problems with the underwraps.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:35AM

I think you need to change your thread angle. move the thread away from the tip of the guide foot, and as soon as you get a couple of wraps to climb on, stop and pack the threads and then straighten out your thread a bit. What size thread are you using?

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.93.208.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 08:02AM

Picture of well preped guide foot: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.183.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 08:09AM

Stve outlined the way I do it. Prep the foot and get a couple of wraps on it and pack them tight. Do a few more and pack them again. It gets to be slow going but I've never been in a hurry when buidling a rod.

Date: March 12, 2009 08:43AM

The larger guides are indeed more difficult to wrap due to the thicker foot.

Posted by: brad baker (---.tinker.af.mil)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:44AM

I am using size A threads. I have gone through about a half spool only on the first guide. Another problem is after I start to climb the foot, I pack the threads back down the foot, but the threads underneath the guide stay further up. make sense? Throws off the whole line of thread. Should I be using a larger size thread? How many coats of CP should I use on under wraps? Does CP have any impact on this problem of my thread not climbing right?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:49AM

A couple of things for running a power wrapper at warp speed - are you applying a coat of finish to the underwraps? If not the thread sizes for the underwrap and the guide wrap need to be approximately the same diameter or the upper thread needs to be larger. If you are only having problems only with metallics it probably is due to the smaller diameter metallic thread "jumping across the hills and valleys" of the larger thread you are using for the underwrap. I always try to move up in thread size from the bottom to the top of the wrap to keep this from happening. D nylon black is beautiful and is even better when on top - also back off a slight amount on the tension for the upper wraps.

Date: March 12, 2009 10:12AM

When you pack the thread, push it tighter on the bottom so that the edge is even all the way around.

CP has no effect on your wrapping - it still comes down to practice. You cannot obtain this skill overnight.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:34AM

Tom is right.

Get a wooden dowel, a guide and some thread and practice. practice, practice. JMHO C2

Date: March 12, 2009 11:35AM

my two under wraps are size A thread. And the over wrap is size A also. My bottom wrap is size A metallic silver, the next under wrap is size A metallic blue, and the over wrap is size A metallic black. The stripper guide is a 30 BLNG Fugi. The two bottom wraps appear good. Put 3 coats of CP and dried overnight. Next, I filed down the guide feet and tried to install with the metallic black thread. My wraps either leave gaps, back down over themselves, or clump up. If I try to burnish, it takes the color off. With the CP on, the threads don't wanna move. I have tried adjusting the tension and playing with different angles. I've even tried different speeds and even hand wrapping slow. I think all of you have very good inputs. Think it boils down to practice and maybe try larger thread for the bigger rods.

Posted by: Hillrie Rouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 01:02PM

Brad---------Apply a light coat of finish to your underwraps and put on your dryer------let cure 24 hrs and then do your guides-------that is the way I do it and I have nooooooo problems

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 01:05PM

I found when I started that using D thread was way easier, I still prefer to use D thread for my main wraps and A thread for trim bands and inlay's. That is just my prefference. Get your self a burnishing tool, that was one of the coolest things that I ever bought when I was starting out. Good luck and don't let it get you down, sometimes it helps just to walk away from it for a few hours.

Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: March 12, 2009 01:26PM

You can pack over the guide foot because it's steel and the thread will slid. It won't slid on your under wrap so the two sides don't pack evenly. A well cured coat of finish on the under wraps would help this issue.

Date: March 12, 2009 03:23PM

So i should try to put a light coat of finish over my under wraps then let sit 24hrs? Should I thin the finish at all? What happens if this still does not work? Can I cut it all off and re-do? Sorry so many questions. Seems like I do have hills and valley's that my thread is jumping around with. Just want to make sure that it is still easy to correct if it gets messed up or if it is permenant. Might try the D thread also. Thanks for all the help so far. It is greatly appreciated.

Brad

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster