I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5S66LF vs 3S66LF
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 02:30PM

How much difference will I notice between the SC5 and SC3? Weights and tapers seem very similar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5S66LF vs 3S66LF
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 02:56PM

Marty,
Only you can decide.
Both blanks are very good blanks.
Generally speaking the SC5 blanks tend to have a bit crisper action and somewhat thinner wall thickness due to the different resin graphite blend.
However, as with any thing - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is also dependent on the type fishing you are doing.
There are some types fishing, where the action of the SC3 type blank is a better match.

Conversely, the opposite is true for the SC5 blanks.

Build one of each and then fish with each of them for 5 years for all types of fish and send us a report.

I hate to be a cop out, but blank selection is really a very personal thing. You really need to evaluate the needs of your self and or client if you are building for someone else and match the nees of your self and or your client to the blank.

Be assurred, that just because a blank is more expensive than another blank - does not make it a better blank for all applications. Yes, sometimes the more expensive blank is a better blank for certain applications, but absolutely the incorrect blank for other applications.

Personally, I own SCII, SCIII, SCIV blanks in various actions from various years. I fish them all depending on the need and application.

Generally speaking for slower action needs and or softer actions, I tend to go with the SCII blanks.
For the times when I need a light crisp blank, I will go with the SCV.
For bottom bouncing I use some of the SCIV blanks.
For trolling, I use the SCII blanks.
For vertical jigging, I use the SCIII blanks.

So, there is a blank out there for every need, length, action and power.
Choose the one that you need - depending on the application.

Good fishing.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2009 03:26PM

The actions would be identical. The weight, however, will be different and this will make the SCV react and recover more quickly.

Having said that, don't think the SCIII is a dog - it isn't.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 06:25PM

I vote to buy both of them and sell, donate, gift or whatever the one you like the least. You WILL like them both ... but someone else will surely appreciate your leftovers.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 06:04AM

I've only ever built and fished the 3S66LF. It is a dandy rod. If you're in a budget crunch, don't feel bad about the SCIII. You'll love it.

Of course, the SCV is probably lighter and crisper, but. . .you won't be unhappy either way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster