I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying Bubbles
Posted by: Eric Koenig (64.8.152.---)
Date: March 10, 2009 02:59PM

Good afternoon all! This is my first post and kinda excited about getting some great information. I started building rods about 10 months ago and started running into a problem with the finish. I let the finish dry with the rod on a dryer for about 2-3 hours. I let sit over night and everything seems to be drying fine with no flaws. Thats when I'm starting to get little bubbles of finish coming to the top like pimples. Everything around it is dry but these little pimples pop out and dont seem to dry. What am I doing wrong? I even switched brands but not sure if thats my problem....thanks everyone and after reading some of your threads you are right...this is such an addiction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying Bubbles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2009 03:04PM

It has nothing to do with the brand - a company couldn't stay in business producing an epoxy that behaved like that for no reason.

If the rod has sat overnight, then the finish should be set well enough that no more bubbles, pits, etc., are going to form at that time. Are you sure this isn't happening in the first few hours?

"Bubbles" are one thing, fish eyes are another. Are you sure of which you have there?

Are you thinning your finish? Do you have any good photos of this condition?

We can probably pinpoint what's wrong but it's tough to do without a little more information.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 05:30PM

Like Tom stated even if you had bubbles. There is no reason that these areas should not have dried also. It sounds like some kind of contamination. You haven't used any kind of sprays near your work area or where you keep your threads. Even scented sprays well raise havoc with a finish. We all know what spray waxes well do. An for sure keep any kind of silicone out of your work area.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 10, 2009 05:53PM

Let's stop short on the contamination thing until we have more information. Far too many problems get blamed on "contamination" when it's actually something else.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 06:01PM

If there are only a few large pimple looking things they could be located in the area that you made thread pull throughs. Air gets trapped in the thread pulled under the wrap and will work its way up the thread and end up looking like a small volcanoe blow out. Some of these things may take an hour or so to completely get the trapped air displaced when the finish soaks into the thread. The best way for anyone to trouble shoot your problem is for you to take a photo showing exactly what you are trying to describe. It is not the finish and there is a correct answer - I hope you are not one of those who sprays with denatured alcohol after applying finish -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 06:02PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: March 10, 2009 06:04PM

But why are these areas not drying? An the rest of the finish is?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eric Koenig (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 10:01PM

Thanks everyone for all the response. No I dont spray anything near it. I will try to take some photos next time iy happens. I had to give it one more good coat of finish and that seemed to work. Only on the butt end did this happen. The reason I askedf about the finish was that when delivered the delivery guy left it on our porch......- 18 F. Didnt freeze though...might have found it in time before that happened. I have used this finish without this happening on other blanks. They are not fish eyes as I know what those are. They are just little bubbles of finish that rise to the top just when you think it ready to deliver...wierd I know. Yes Bob thats my question...why when the rest of the rod dries and not that.

Not thinning my finish. I will be finishing another rod shortly and if it occurs again I will try and post a pic. Thanks everyone

Eric

Date: March 10, 2009 10:35PM

The resin can crystalize in colder temps. Even if it only happens partially, this often leaves tiny particles in the stuff. They can appear as "nubs" or small protrusions in the final finish. This could be what you've experienced.

Date: March 11, 2009 01:47AM

If like Tom suggest is true, You might try this, nuke the 2 bottles from about 15 seconds then look if you can see any crystals floating around. If both botthes apear clear you should be read to go with another coat. Before appling a second coat. CALL the manufacture

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 06:13PM

I think the original message asked about pimples popping out, which means something rising from the surface. I have never had that unless I was careless about leaving a thread end sticking up. On the other hand, if the problem is a "crater" in the finish, I have had these many times. Maybe that is what some of you call fisheyes?

I have not seen one of those since I started heating my bottles of 2 part finish before measuring by running hot water into the sink and putting the bottles into it (not above the cap!!) for about 3-5 minutes before drawing off the finish and mixing it. After I mix it well, I wait a few minutes, blowing into the cup to help any micro bubbles pop, then I put it onto the rod.

Since doing the heating/blowing/waiting, I have not had a crater.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster