I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9'6" 5wt recommendations
Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.net0.whitworth.edu)
Date: March 10, 2009 02:41PM

Greetings,
First I will admit that I haven't looked at all the sponsors inventory, but I am looking for some recommendations, not just who has this size. I want to build a 9'6"5wt fly rod for lakes, most fish are trout with the largest being in the 26" range, long casts, long leaders, light weight, moderate-fast action (something like Dan's FT is too fast for me). Just curious what some of you pros would recommend. Any and all brands are welcome as I don't give a rip about the name brand, but I don't want "budget" or "good value" just for the sake of saving money. I am not looking to throw money away, but will spend more to get better quality if that is necessary.
Thanks.
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9'6" 5wt recommendations
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: March 10, 2009 03:13PM

Mike, We have just taken on a new line of High end fly blanks by a new co. Named Fish Creek. They have the Wind Jammer and the Velocity Series The Wind Jammer I believe would be of interest to you. They are high modulus rod with a med fast tip. They are 4 piece however they are 9' and not 9'6". These are high end blanks at a great introductory price of 100.00. If you would like to see one shoot us an email I will send 1 to you and not charge you until you say it is ok. This offer is good for anyone interested. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 03:13PM

Hi, Mike
I like bang for the buck, and the Batson Rainshadow RX7 gives that without the big cost. They are med-fast action and cast very well.

Mike @

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Date: March 10, 2009 03:20PM

Thanks Scott, I will email you off the board and ask more questions.

Mike, I like bang for the buck as well, and don't want to spend any more than I have to. I just meant that I don't want "value" just because it is cheaper. If it is just as good, then great!

I should also say that I would consider a 10' rod as well, in either a 4 or 5 wt. It would have to be a faster action 4wt as all my lines are 5wt lines and I don't want to purchase all new lines. And this will be fished primarily from a pontoon or float tube.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 03:47PM by Mike Ediger.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 04:17PM

Mike Ediger -- What will be the various type flies used and what size? Are they weighted or possibly heavily weighted? The 9'-6" to 10' rods will make casting from a float tube a much easier task. Fly lines that closely match a rod's power and flex, for casting efficiency, will make all the difference in the world, when it comes to either distance casting or pin-point accuracy. Matching a good line to the rod is essential and can make or break how you feel about a rod. Let's just say that you wanted to go with a 10' rod. For long distance casting, a good 5 wt line should do the trick on a med-fast type blank, such as Mike Brune has mentioned by Rainshadow RX7. You would have to have more line out to shoot line and make longer casts. Now if you wanted to make not so far of, quicker/snappier type casts, that would load the rod sooner, to fish heavier flies, go with a good 6 wt. line on that same 5 wt. rod. That 6 wt. line could also be a bit better in the wind. If I can be of any further help, just shoot me a e-mail to - customtackle@united.net or give me a call at 931-684-6164. I am a distributor for Batson Enterprises and would be glad to help with your project.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: March 10, 2009 05:11PM

Thanks Bob. I will be using a variety of lines and flies. I don't envision making more quicker/snappier type cases. This is going to be for longer casts over clear shallow shoals, hence the longer leaders and longer casts. Everything from buggers and streamers to damsels, scuds, and chironomids; the basic stillwater arsenal. I have the clear cammo intermediate line, a 7' sink tip, and a type VI full sink. I will probably be using a 9'5wt that I currently have for the floating line applications.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: March 10, 2009 05:35PM

i've got a 9'6" 7wt RX7... works great for me. their RX8+ is even nicer from reports i've read.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.94.166.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 07:22PM

Mike,
Both Sage and Winston make 9-1/2 foot 5 weights which are very comfortable to cast.
Even though advertised as Fast Action both have a very large "sweet spot " and will accomodate any casting stroke with power in reserve.
Additionally Sage has a 10 foot 5 weight.
Hard to go wrong with any of these blanks.

Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 08:03PM

Eugene, are you talking about the VT2 and Z-Axis. I have both of those on the list. But they are the only two I have seen. Is there something I am missing?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 09:28PM

Mike,
CTS Affinity One or Affinity MX hands down.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.91.109.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:19PM

Mike,
Actually I was referring to the Sage "Z" axis and the Winston boron IIX.
Both have a great deal of sensitivity and are very light.
I've witnessed at least a dozen people cast each rod and the rod improved each caster.
I've only cast 2 of the VT2 rods both of which felt good but the Z axis and boron IIX were much sweeter and easier to feel the rod loading. Cast from the tip with only your wrist to about 50 feet but if you want to open your stroke there's plenty of rod to 80 feet then you begin to haul for the remainder of the line.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:25PM

Mike,
You're email is hidden. I think I can help with a prior sponsor's blank.

Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:45AM

Spencer, I think I fixed my hidden email issue.

Herb, Thanks for the CTS recommendation. I will look into that blank.

Mike

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 08:39AM

The Sage Z Axis is a nice blank, but it is a fast action for sure. Since other fast action blanks were brought up, as one to mention for sure, would be the St. Croix SC4. I would definately toss it into the mix, for consideration. There are 10' models available in that series. They are fast, but not super fast.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 11:26AM

If you are familiar with the Dan's FT, it sounds like the Sig V would fit the bill perfectly. I've built a 9'6" 6wt and the action seems to be exactly what you have described. Very simple rod to cast but has enough power for nice long casts.

Date: March 12, 2009 05:13PM

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I am going to continue to think about my options before making a decision and starting the next project.
I appreciate all of your perspectives.
Take care,
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster