I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap woes.
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 10:38PM

I just finished my first tiger wrap per the instructions in RM. 2 words on this. "Whew" and "Wow". It is one spectacular effect. My problem is the pull out thread. I had to wrap and heat that thing 5 times before I was able to get a consistent gap. And then, it slid on me while I was applying finish. Even with these problems, it still looks pretty nice. I plan on redoing it and would really like some suggestions on getting that sacrificial thread out of there. I'm following the instruction with warming to the touch and have found that unwrapping and rewrapping and reheating after botching the outer winds only compounds the problem. Has somebody got an easy trick? What about a little more tension on that outer wrap? Would that cause it to set deeper when heating? Or, even better, how bout a way to fix em when they try to slide together?
I've learned that tension is extremely important here. For those of you who are like me and a brick short of a wheel barrow load, size A thread becomes size AA or smaller if too much tension is applied. So, it's important to have the same tension on both threads when you wrap them together.
Ya ain't gotta hit me in the face with a wet mop for me to see what's goin on, but I'll get it a lot quicker that way.

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap woes.
Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 12:03AM

TRy coating the wrap with CP and, after it is almost dry, snip and pull out the sacrificial thread. Leave the rod in the lathe/wrapper and pull straight back, never at any side angle to the blank, and you should end up with good results.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 01:28AM

PULLING the sacraficial thread it not a good idea. Of course, at first you have to pull it for a wrap
or two to get it started but it's best to UNWIND it without really pulling on it with any tension. Under
tension it will want to push against the remaining thread which can move it and that's what you
must avoid especially if your leaving only one thread behind and not doing a 3 or 4 thread tiger
wrap.
What I do on my power wrapper is start removing the sac. thread on the side that I started the wrap
and after I get a few winds off I turn the blank and let the threads own weight pull it off the blank as it
turns under power. I'm not using the thread to turn the rod and spin it out. Turn the rod by what ever
means and let the sac thread come out on it's own and help it along not to re-wrap itself aroung the
blank again.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2009 08:11AM

Right, if you read both articles in the magazine on the technique, you should notice that the first thread layer is wound with very little tension and the second layer is wound with more tension. The sacrificial thread is simply unwound - the rod should easily turn backwards as the thread just falls off at the rod turns. Take the belt off the motor and the rod will turn much easier - pulling on the sacrificial thread should then result in it just flying off the rod.

One of the other tips mentioned in the magazine is to apply the top layer and let it remain on the rod for a few hours. This also helps it set deeper into the layer of finish over the first layer of thread.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 10:48AM

I do exactly like raymond noted.

also, as tom noted, after i heat the wrap, I let it site for about an hour, or longer, before removing the sacrificial

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 10:51AM

I wrap the second threads with more tension, heat, let cool, then I put the rod in felt lined v-blocks and very gently pull the sacrificial thread while the rod spins. Never had a problem.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 08:02PM

Thanks guys,
I'm following the article to the letter and pretty much doin what you all are saying. I guess it just takes practice like so much else. Again, thank you very much.
Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster