I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts on 3 St. Croix options - 5S66LF, 4S60LF adn 3S63MLXF?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 09:24AM

I just built a 5S66MLF and love it. Actually caught a largemouth around 6 or 7 pounds my first time out! For my next build I'm interested in going a step lighter - say using 4lb mono and a Shimano 750 Symetre - and was wondering how the above options would compare to what I just built. I like very fast rods so I need something that will be light/quick in the tip, but I don't want it to feel mushy and whippy down in the butt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on 3 St. Croix options - 5S66LF, 4S60LF adn 3S63MLXF?
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 09, 2009 09:37AM

Sorry to not be answering your question Marty, but if I had a rod that delivered a fish like that on the first trip, I'm not sure I'd be fishing with anything else for awhile. I just gotta ask, how big would it have needed to be for you to officially declare that your lucky rod? You South Carolinians must be spoiled by 6-7 lb. bass : )

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 09:48AM

Lucky! I like to think it was my "finesse" presentation of a 4" senko. Seriously, this will probably be my go-to bass rod for the ponds I fish, but I'm looking for something lighter (but still fast) to use for panfish and trout.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2009 09:49AM

The 66LF is stout in the butt, but light yet crisp in the tip. It's very nice. The added length will aid in sensitivity and hook setting ability.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 09:53AM

You should definitely consider one of the new SC5 series. However, currently my favorite rod for panfish and trout is the G Loomis SJ720-IMX.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 10:45AM

I think the 3S63MLXF is going to be way too much rod for 4# line, so I would drop that one from your list, but a move to an SC3 Lite Power blank would be a good choice too.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 03:07PM

Marty,
In addtion to the blanks you are considering, you might take a look at the SC3 C 6-9 ml ex f.
Note, the C rather than the S in the designation. This blank is actually a casting rod blank according to the St. Croix catalog. I was in a similar situation last week for a client who wanted a very fast tip on a good jig rod.
I was shown this blank and bought it on the spot, because of its light fast tip. The tip is substatially faster than a simliar - different length - spinning version. Actually, the butt section is a bit heavier as well. However, the actual tip section itself is lighter and thus gives excellent feel.
It is a tad heavy for 4 lb line, but if you want a very fast tipped strong rod, you might take a look at this blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 03:20PM

Like Jim, the new SC5 for sure.... one beautiful blank in every way.

DR

Posted by: Max Klee (---.netcologne.de)
Date: March 10, 2009 09:18AM

No, the SC3 69MLXF is definetely not what Marty is looking for. He just built a SC5 66MLF and is looking for something lighter. The 69MLXF is actually heavier/stronger than the 66MLF. It has a light and fast tip, but way to much power in the mid and buttsection.
I used this blank for a spinningrod, fishing with 10lb braid. My record with that stick is a Zander (Pikeperch) measuring exactly 100cm. Thanks to the backbone of that blank I was able to control and land the fish.
I don´t know any of the other blanks Marty mentioned above, but personally I´d go for the 5S66LF or 4S60LF. With that 3SMLXF I´d be carefull, cause it might have the same ore compareable backbone as the 3C69MLXF.

Greetings

Max

>In addtion to the blanks you are considering, you might take a look at the SC3 C 6-9 ml ex f.
>Note, the C rather than the S in the designation. This blank is actually a casting rod blank according to the St. Croix catalog. I was in a similar >situation last week for a client who wanted a very fast tip on a good jig rod.
>I was shown this blank and bought it on the spot, because of its light fast tip. The tip is substatially faster than a simliar - different length - spinning >version. Actually, the butt section is a bit heavier as well. However, the actual tip section itself is lighter and thus gives excellent feel.
>It is a tad heavy for 4 lb line, but if you want a very fast tipped strong rod, you might take a look at this blank.

>Take care
>Roger

Posted by: Andrew White (---.k12.ar.us)
Date: March 10, 2009 03:24PM

The 66LF is the best light rod I've ever fished. It has enough power to do any number of things with 4 or 6 lb. test, but has a fast enough tip not break off very often. I've caught a number of large trout and bass on this rod. You're not going to be able to get them out of any cover, but the rod will surely hold up in open water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster