I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grouper Rod Handle length
Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 08:32AM

I getting ready to built a grouper rod using a Calstar 700H blank. It will be used mostly on head boats out of east central Florida. My questions regards the handle length front & rear. I've been told for the rear 8 to 10 inches & front 10 to 12". I put the handle with the reel together & the length of the rear handle seems short. It feels too close to my body even at 12" from rear of seat (this measurement includes the gimble). What would your recommend or should I just keep lengthing the rear grip until it feels comfortable to me? I know the shorter length could give me more cranking power since my arms are not extended as much as with a longer grip.

Thanks for all your help in advance

Mike Clements

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grouper Rod Handle length
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2009 11:01AM

The rear grip and seat location depends on the harness you'll be using. If you won't be using one, then that point is mute.

Are you using the rod on a rail? Not? What's comfortable in your shop may not be what's comfortable on the water. It all depends on these other variables. You need to put the rod into the same situation in which you'll be using it and then you can determine the proper rear grip length.

The foregrip needs to be long enough to accommodate the furthest point forward where you will be grasping the rod. Again, put yourself into an actual fishing situation and consider how you'll be holding and using the rod.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 11:55AM

Thanks Tom. I'm going to test it at various length to see which feels best for me. It will not be used with a harness or as a rail rod. So I'm thinking I need to have it a little longer in the rear.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 12:55PM

Another thing to consider is the length of, and material used, for the foregrip .You will be banging it on the rail if you catch a big fish. That's where a good cord wrap comes into play.

They wrap what is called a 'Deckhand' wrap where both the handle and foregrip are cord wrapped. Works for them. C2

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 01:05PM

Mike a lot of the guys fish with the rear grip under there arm average size is 12-14", something else IF you are not going to be using a harness or anything like that why add a gimbal a lot of people end up putting a butt cap over the gimbal just to stop it from hitting the arm or other places, foregrip on average for a rod with longer rear grips are usually about 8" and has been said before test until it feels comfortable

Posted by: John Trella (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 10:22PM

Mike,

I use a 700H for grouper as well. The rear grip on mine is 8.5" plus gimble and was set up to fish with a belt. Thing is, on party boats or even on private boats I never have the belt on and its kind of short for under the arm fishing. I am thinking of extending the butt aroud 4" or so. On a new build I would think moving the real seat foward a few inches would balance and fish even better.

-JOHN

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 10:07AM

I have a couple guys who like 18-20" rear grips as the rod STAYS tucked under their arm at all times during the day including fighting big fish. Standard for tucking the rod under is about 14" rear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster