I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Used clemens or renzetti?
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 12:49AM

I just got my first power wrapper at teh expo. I got a pac bay rodsmith rw-3l with a upgraded chuck. I really am having a terrible time with the chuck, it will not stay tight at all. I have had to put a pipe clamp over teh jaws to prevent it from backing out. I have decided to try to look around and find a used clemens or renzetti, but cant find one anywhere. Does anyone know where to start, or find something. any help would be appreciated, if oyu dont want to post on here please email me iamapayne@earthlink.net

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Used clemens or renzetti?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 06:18AM

That is a tall order. They pop up on the buy sell page here from time to time or on @#$%& sites but they demand a good price. Post a wanted on the buy sell page and you may get lucky.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 07:57AM

I think I would discuss with Pac bay firsty as a replacement chuck may be the answer. I use one for 8 years and no problems even turnig cork.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: March 09, 2009 08:12AM

I bought the same wrapper at the expo and bought a deluxe chuck as well. have had no problems with mine. I have turned cork and sanded foam with it. Seems more of a chuck prob than a wrapper prob.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 08:38AM

Did you get the up graded chuck? Call PacBay and ask for Bob Lee . Bob is the owner. He would be interested if you have any problems withe your model. It sounds like you have one of the old chucks

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 12:23PM

Bob, how can you tell if you have an old chuck? I have to use double stick tape on the butt as insurance so the rod doesn't back out

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Date: March 09, 2009 01:29PM

Bob, yes I did get the upgraded chuck. IT is really worthless unless I put a pipe clamp on the chuck head to keep it from backing out. I have tried to call Pacbay, had to leave messages though. thanks for everyones help

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 02:46PM

Chuck,
If all else fails, you might consider the Taig Chuck.

[www.taigtools.com]

I did have the Pac Bay chuck and switched over to the Taig chuck and couldn't be happier.

Double check the thread size on your current chuck.
The taig chuck comes in either 3/4 X18 or 1X 8 threads per inch on the chuck body.

Good luck.
Roger

Date: March 09, 2009 03:03PM

Chuck
p.s.
Is this the chuck you have on your wrapper?

[www.fishpacbay.com]

If so, it is a fine chuck.

You indicate that you have the rod is coming loose.

Is your rod coming loose because the chuck is changing its adjustment, or is the rod coming loose, because it is slipping out of the jaws with the clamping pressure you put on the chuck?

If you do have the upgraded chuck, I am guessing that you don't have an issue with the chuck changing its adjustment - very difficult to have happen - but rather the rod is working its way out of the chuck jaws.

If the chuck adjustment is staying fixed - I am guessing that it is - I think you need to change the surface on your chuck jaws to keep the rod from slipping.
In addition to that, if you wrapping a rod with a tapered butt cap, it is going to be very difficult to hold it in place with any chuck.

Having said that, I have found that one solution to the issue, if you have the upgraded chuck is to remove the plastic or rubber covering over the jaws of the chuck.
Then, take cork strips the same width as the jaws and use transfer adhesive to adhere the cork to the face of the jaws. It seems that the cork faced jaws do a much better job at holding the handle in place compared to either the rubber or vinyl or plain metal jaws of the chuck.

In addition - a fail safe way to secure the rod in your power wrapper - assuming that your chuck jaws don't move - is to wrap the rod before you add the butt cap to the rod.
Secure the rod in the power wrapper by using a solid fiberglass, metal, or graphite rod - either ground to the right size or built up with masking tape to insure a good friction fit into the butt of the rod blank.
If you use a piece of solid rod that goes several inches into the butt of the rod, and then - starting from the tip of the inserted rod, build up the inserted rod with layers of masking tape so that the tip is a friction fit into the butt of the rod blank. Then, work back toward the butt, building up layers of tape so the next rod of tape build up is a friction fit into the butt of the rod. This will absolutely keep the rod in place on the inside of the blank.
Under normal circumstance, I have never found any issues at all with the plain metal chuck, the rubber or vinly coated chuck or cork coated chuck keeping the solid rod in place.

As a matter of fact, most of the time, on new rod builds, I use a different chuck on my power wrapper. It is a simple 1/2 inch keyless chuck in which I insert the solid rod and then insert the built up tape coated rod into the butt of the rod for wrapping.
I do this for convenience and simplicity, since the keyless chuck makes rod changes virtually instant. No need to get the johnny bars to tighten or loosen the chuck.

Summary-
If you do have the upgraded pac bay chuck on your wrapper, I doubt very much that the jaws are actually changing their adjustment during power wrapping. If the rod is coming loose, I am guessing that it is because the rod is working out of the chuck jaws with no adjustment change happenning in the chuck. To resolve the problem, remove any covering on the metal jaws, and add a layer of 1/8th or 1/16th cork with transfer adhesive to the metal jaws and I suspect that the problem will go away.
However, if you are trying to wrap a rod with a tapered butt cap, I would suggest that you remove the butt cap and power wrap with a solid rod built up with masking tape to secure the rod from the inside of the blank, and then chuck the solid rod into the chuck for wrapping.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 09, 2009 03:11PM

p.p.s.
Here is an example of either the 1/16th or 1/8th thick cork tape from Mudhole.com
Buy a foot of each, and a foot will give you many pieces to coat your chuck jaws.
The 1/8th thickness gives you a bit more give, and the ability to compress a bit more and help hold the blank.
The 1/16th is better if you commonly chuck up rods that are near the capacity of the chuck - i.e. the 1/16th cork does not reduce the size as much as the 1/8th thick cork.

[www.mudhole.com]

Cut off as much as you need to face a jaw, strip off the adhesive and stick it on the bare metal jaws.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 09, 2009 03:14PM

p.p.s.
I did have issues with my plain metal chuck having the rod back out.
When, pac bay came out with their upgrade, I obtained the upgrade and added it to my chuck - (i.e. the vinly covering for the jaws) - I noted little change. i.e. I still had the problem.
I saw the note about using cork on the jaws on this site some time ago and tried this fix.
Problem solved, no more rods backing out of the chuck, as long as the butt of the rod is not tapered.

Roger

Date: March 09, 2009 03:19PM

I have the Upgraded chuck, and yes teh chuck is backing out itself. I must have a defective one, because everyone else doesnt seem to have this problem. I have a call in to Pacbay, but they havent returned it yet, hopefully I will get something resolved this afternoon. The chuck on the lathe is pretty much useless unless I put a pipe clamp around the jaws of the chuck to keep them closed. Thanks for the tip on the cork tape, I already have plenty of it here. hopefully Pacbay will resolve this issue for me shortly, I have a lot of rods to build before easter and it is a hassle the way it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 03:21PM by Chuck Payne.

Date: March 09, 2009 03:22PM

wow wonder why it blanks out a holiday in april?

Date: March 09, 2009 03:30PM

Chuck,
Pop the chuck off the head stock and take it apart.
There must be something wrong inside that is causing the issue.
It is a pretty simple affair, and once apart, if there is a problem, it should be self evident.
Good luck.
Roger

Date: March 09, 2009 03:40PM

I have tried to get it off once to no avail. I will try again later today though. I'm assuming that you have to remove the set screw in the middle of the chuck and then take it off. I couldnt get that screw out last night, but didnt try to force it. I will try again later though

Posted by: jeremy black (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 04:08PM

just a thought but i also picked up pac bay rodsmith rw-3l with a upgraded chuck at the show and found that rod alignment was important in keeping chuck tight...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2009 04:32PM

You can only tighten the chuck up so much on an item like a rod blank. Make sure you wind a few turns of masking tape around the blank butt before installing it in the chuck. This will greatly aid in keeping the rod from slipping loose in the chuck.

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 05:57PM

wow pacbay didn't call you back in 8 hours?
what a lousy customer service.
i was looking at the lathe with upgraded chuck and pacbay's NO RESPONSE to you in a business day steer me away from them.
i'm getting the AMTAK with upgraded chuck.

Date: March 09, 2009 06:01PM

Well they are in the west coast also, so the first time I called was told that the office people wouldnt be in for a couple of hours, dont let this steer you away from them, I was told that the person I needed to talk to would be in about 3 there which would be 6 here.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 06:48PM

Chuck had the Same problem with that chuck on my wrapper,kept dropping blanks. Also tried to remove the set screw NO JOY. Took it off and sold it replaced it with a 2 1/2" 3 jaw machinist chuck no problems!

Talked to the people at the pac-bay booth in highpoint, told them of the problems they acted shocked. They say they have never heard a complaint about the "improved Chuck" Go Figure!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster