I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What grit sandpaper between coats?
Posted by: Jon Sherwin (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2009 06:39PM

I've got a coat of finish that i have let cure on the butt section of the fly rod I'm currently building that is going to be the inscription area. I'm using regular TM. Before I do the inscription, I know I need to scuff up the finish. The Threadmaster instructions provided by Andy Dear mention gray or maroon scotchbrite pads. I can not find what I think is the right pads, I found some "In-between coat" pad by 3m that is gray, but I don't think it is fine enough. Sandpaper I know I can find more easily, so what would you recommend for grit size for sandpaper? Thanks.

Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What grit sandpaper between coats?
Posted by: Terry Morrell (75.39.248.---)
Date: March 08, 2009 08:09PM

I use 400 grit and then wipe it down with alcohol.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: March 08, 2009 09:08PM

That grey "in between coat" pad is the one you want. It's meant to provide a water-break-free surface without removing material, especially between coats of paint. As you mentioned, either grey or maroon will work well. I have used the green and the maroon: green is much more abrasive, and will lift clear coat and paint if you are too aggressive.

Date: March 08, 2009 09:26PM

Ah ok good, thanks for the heads up. The other gray pad seems to be much more hard to find and only at automotive supply stores.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2009 09:42PM

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop has ALL the various pads, from coarse to ultra fine. The ultra fine (gray) are the ones you want. Here's a link to the exact item. They have TONS of great stuff AND they are super to deal with. They did attend the ICRBE this year and have definitely earned my business and referrals.

[www.woodworkingshop.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2009 10:13PM

Don't wipe it with alcohol after you scuff/scour it. Just dust it off with a soft brush. Washing or wiping with a solvent should never be the final step in surface preparation.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2009 10:17PM

And I know that at least one sponsor that stocks them too...

The "pads" at the top of this page --> [] are actual 3M Scothbrite.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 10:22PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.68.125.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2009 10:46PM

If you put any clear decals on do not sand it. The sanding shows though the clear as a dull finish when clear is applied. Writing works OK. When the clear in applied it covers any fine scratches.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 08, 2009 10:46PM

I used the gray 3m "in between coat" scotch brite pad to lightly scuff the finish, and then used a disposable brush to wipe away any residual (no alcohol). I can see that its not exactly the same as the light gray ultrafine pads (maybe a bit coarser), but I went carefully and lightly. Applied the inscription with speedball pen and testors ink, coated with finish, and everything looks great, turning on the dryer right now. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 10:47PM by Jon Sherwin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster