I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cord wrapped grips
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: March 07, 2009 02:35AM

I have done a search of the past posts and have not found what I am looking for. I have always liked art done with 550 cord and the cord wrapped grips or handles are no exception especially with the monkey fist type knots. I have no idea where to start in learning how to do this. Obviously I would prefer any online article if anybody knows of one, but if not, is there a book or something that someone might recommend.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cord wrapped grips
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 06:52AM

THere is a guy who sells a book on making knots. IT's a spiral bound book, and he sells a kit to go along to help make al the knots in teh book. HE actually has 2 editions of the book, there's like 400 different knots in there. A friend of mine picked up the book, and hasn't stopped making knots since.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2009 07:58AM

The Boy Scouts have websites that cover knots such as turks heads and monkey fists.
There are also animated websites that show these knots being tied.
I use turks heads as a small foregrip on my surf rods, they hold up well when finished.
From what I understand, wrapping with cord is old school and one of the first methods of early handles.
It takes practice and patience but in my opinion they are worth the effort and it makes the rod much more personalized than a piece of rubber grip material.
I have been using tuna cord and it comes in a variety of colors.
The best way to start is to begin. Get some cord and start weaving, you will make mistakes at first but once you get the hang of it you'll have people saying, Oooooo that's really cool looking.

Check out this mans work

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 08:44AM

Creative Ropecraft by Stuart Grainger C2

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 12:24PM

Here's something.

[www.geocities.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: March 07, 2009 03:44PM

These will get you started

[knotical-arts.com]

[www.animatedknots.com]

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: March 07, 2009 04:54PM

Thanks everyone, I think I have what I need, I have a feeling that this will take me a while to pick up but at least it should be easier on the hands than holding tension on size A thead. lol
James

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.hanford.gov)
Date: March 08, 2009 03:19PM

I have not used a cord wrapped / knotted grip, Are they comfortable to hold? Do you have some finish on them, or just have the cord / knots as is when you are done tying / wrapping?
Thanks.

Date: March 09, 2009 01:12PM

I wrap my handles and foregrips with tarred seiner's twine. It is black only. No; it won't get your hands black.

I use either a #60 for thicker blanks and #72 for the thinner blanks.

Wrap the cord just as you do a guide; starting and finishing it the same.

I wrap in the same direction as the hand grips the rod and don't apply any finish.

I sometimes get creative and do a split grip with a Turkshead Knot at the ends. Looks rather good. C2

Posted by: Ted Metzger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 05:04PM

There's website called Knottools.com, they have everything you could want

Date: March 09, 2009 05:48PM

WARNING:

It's very addictive. JMHE C2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster