I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS 5-8 surf rod Guide question
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 06, 2009 07:25PM

am getting ready to build my CTS 5-8 heaver. I am debating about what size guides to put on, I have really been thinking of doing 20-16-12, then 10s all the way out. Has anyone used this set up? I use a alberto kot and will be mostly using a torium14 or a saltist 20h on this rod. I may put my 30h on for cobes. Im concerned about a knot catching, but really dont think that a 10 is to small. I dont really want to experiment with this blank since they aint cheap. Also would a 20 be a large enough first guide, I have used a 25 before, but not a 20. any help would be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS 5-8 surf rod Guide question
Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 07:57PM

I've built both the 5-8 and 8-12 version on both I used went 25,20,16,12's to the tip all in Fuji Alconites. Are you building this as an 8&bait heaver or a middle of the rod multi purpose rod?

Date: March 06, 2009 08:08PM

I am building this as a 6n bait heaver, I rarely throw 8n bait, as I have problem with my hands and arms, and just cant throw 8 very well. I am really not to concerned about grass, and having to deal with it getting caught in the smaller guides, I am really concerned with getting a knot caught in the 20 and taking the guide off with a cast. I am also considering using the new ring locks from American Tackle. This will be the first rod over 9' that I have built, and will be my personal heaver. I was kind of thinking along the lines of a "micro" heaver. I know a lot of people that run 30,25,20,16, and 12's on out, or even some 16's out. I just dont want to get out there and on a power cast catch a guide with a know, and have my several hundred dollar heaver on the shelf for the week.

Date: March 06, 2009 08:09PM

I just had another thought, I have a factory daiwa saltiga ballistic, I know its low riders but the first guide on it is a 20 as well. would the higher frame on the low riders help prevent a knot catch. I am thinking with that ring size of a 20 I should be able to safely use a 20 in my application

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 08:35PM

Hi Chuck,

I say go with the Ringlocks from the American Tackle Company, I know,,,, what a surprise...

If I were building this rod I would go with the "Virtus" light Ringlocks. They are incredibly strong yet flexible for the syle of guide. Here's some of their features:

- Frames comprised of SS316 material and solid titanium alloy
- Split front leg design adding lateral stability
- Recessed ring design protecting ceramic from impact
- Ringlock press-fit ring system with larger glue reservoir preventing ring loss
- Shorter foot print with increased flexibility
- Thicker gauge material adds strength and prevents crushing
- Two series covering inshore to 20-60# & offshore to 40-80# line ratings
- Available in our Nanolite ring, the equivalent to SiC

They are available in a size 25 as well. They are slightly higher off the blank in the larger sizes being .560" from blank to bottom of 20mm ring and .740" from the blank to the bottom of the 25mm ring.

Honestly, I think these guides would be perfect for that build, they are new and not many people have used them yet but I believe in them and if I didn't think they would work then I would never have mentioned it. The ultimate would be the solid Titanium Virtus Lights.

If not for this build I hope you consider them in the future.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: March 06, 2009 08:57PM

Darrin, I am really thinking of using the BTRLC, I want a blue ring to match the blue blank, I dont see it offered in a virtus anywhere is it available or do I need to stick with the BTRLC?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2009 09:02PM

You don't need that many guide sizes, 3 at the most. If you know you want a size 20 butt guide, and will be using size 10 running guides, then go 20 - 16 and then as many 10's as you need.

Do test cast, however, to make sure your shock leader knot will indeed pass easily through the size 10's - it may not.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 12:02AM

Hi Chuck,

Maybe I think the blank is heavier then it is as I am not familar with the CTS. I suggested the Virtus Lights thinking you needed something super tough. The BTRLC's are lighter framed but they are tough enough to use on some of my med-heavy SW rods and I also chose them for their blue rings. They will lighten the rod up considerably and I think they might be the better choice.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 07:06AM

What about single foot as running guides. I was thinking of two cast double foots then singles with a forhan locking wrap for less thread and finish on a 10 foot 12-30 lb line 3-8 lb lure.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Stephen Gilmartin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2009 04:08PM

I recomend not going single foot on a heaveir bait chuncking rod. the added perception of security with double foots will clear the mind enough that you will not be worried about your technique every single time your toss it out there. WHich in my mind means more concentration on the power you need to fish some of the areas you do. I believe the 10's will work if you want them but there is absolutely no doubt the 12's will. If the 10's work you may see a 5% or more increase in distance. That may translate to one more fish a season. Putting them on and testing is truely the best method to answer the question, but since you know how to string them up yourself why not exparement. Besides I believe CTS has one of the best warrenties on the market. THey are not giving you guide restrictions so no matter what you put on there I don't see how they can refute the replacement if the blank were to break under normal fishing conditions such as casting! I say 20-16-12-10 to the tip.

Date: March 07, 2009 10:06PM

Thanks for the help guys, Im goign to give the 10's a try, no single foots though, dont have a big enough pair to try that yet. I'll let everyon know how it works out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster